• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Columbiformes (1 Viewer)

... and the parrots are not close to the falcons anymore :eek!:

... and the mites seem to know more than us on the systematic position of the order Falconiformes and its phylogenetic relationships:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a921556943

"The syringophilids are obligatory parasitic mites, which are highly specific to their host. Most of the genera are associated with a specific host order or closely related bird’s orders (Fain et al. 2000). Up to now, six species of the genus Megasyringophilus have been described exclusively from parrots (Psittaciformes) (Fain et al. 2000; Skoracki 2005a), whereas mites of the genus Peristerophila were recorded only from pigeons and doves (Columbiformes). It is noteable that the genus Peristerophila belongs to the “Peristerophila complex genera”, inhabiting birds of the closely related orders Psittaciformes, Columbiformes and Passeriformes (Bochkov and Perez 2002; Skoracki 2005a, b). Unexpectedly finding representants of these two genera on diurnal raptors supports the hypothesis that this order is closely related to the parrots–doves clade. The association of these two genera with doves, parrots and diurnal raptors may be explained by the presence of its ancestor on the common progenitor of the Falconiformes–Psittaciformes–Columbiformes. In our opinion, the future investigation of quill mite fauna as well as other obligatory and permanent ectoparasites (like feather mites or Mallophaga) parasitizing birds of prey will support this hypothesis."

I'm trying to sort things through here is my head, so I might be dead wrong.

* The mites study finds support for a relationship falcons (or do they mean Accipitriformes as well?) + parrots + pigeons
* Gibb & Penny 2010 states (only read the abstract) that the pigeons are closest to sandgrouse and closer to falcons than parrots

In my mind, that doesn't have to contradict Hackett 2008 (falcons as sister to parrots+perching birds) other than that we have to squeeze in pigeons and sandgrouse here.

How about:
((Columbiformes+Pterocliformes)+Falconiformes)+(Psittaciformes+Passeriformes)?

Plus somewhere in this mess the seriemas.

But in that case, what happened to the old Metaves hypothesis? Is it dead now? Or does it just exclude the doves?

I also find the Ptilinopus paraphyly interesting. Does anyone have the full paper?

I don't feel there is enough evidence yet to really say for sure what falcons are related to (other than they are not closely related to accipitriformes)

Ok this is probably a dumb statement/question...but err arent a lot of Columbiformes prey of raptors and so on?

Agreed quill microfauna is very interesting, but I have my doubts on some of the statistical independence. I think the entomologists found host jumping in feather mites a few years back, can't remember the paper though. Think it was the annual review of Entomology.

Personally one of the problems here, is the mites are poorly understood on the whole. So a lot of guess work is involved on that end - until another few hundred Phd's are churned out to get some basic info. (For some reason people are not lining up to spend a large chunk of their life studying mites...) And of course the overlap of entomology and ornithology presents problems in itself. Not many ornithologists keep up with entomology and so on.

I would be cautious basing too much on such things at present.

Scott.

Lapiedra et al 2013

Lapiedra, Sol, Carranza & Beaulieu 2013. Behavioural changes and the adaptive diversification of pigeons and doves. Proc R Soc B 280(1755). [abstract] [pdf]

Last edited:
Zenaidini

Zootaxa 3669 (2): 184–188 (6 Jun. 2013)
Classification of a clade of New World doves (Columbidae: Zenaidini)
RICHARD C. BANKS, JASON D. WECKSTEIN, J.V. REMSEN, JR & KEVIN P. JOHNSON
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2013/f/z03669p188f.pdf
NEOORN, 5 Jun 2013...
Re: [NEOORN-L] Zootaxa: Classification of a clade of New World doves (Columbidae: Zenaidini)

Amigos, conseguí una copia en PDF del artículo sobre Zenaidini. Realmente interesante. Aquí incluyo parte de él, las recomendaciones taxonómicas que se plantean:

Taxonomic recommendations

The genera of doves treated herein form a well-supported phylogenetic group (see Johnson and Weckstein 2011), and share many features of morphology and plumage. We propose that they be recognized as a tribe Zenaidini and suggest the following sequential listing of species, based on Fig. 1 and using the following conventions: (1) the branch with the fewest genera is listed first at each node of the phylogeny; (2) within a genus, the branch with the fewest species at each node is listed first; and (3) for terminal species pairs, the northwestern-most is listed first. Species not included in Fig. 1 and thus placed using traditional views of relationships (mainly from Baptista et al. 1997) are marked with an asterisk (*).

Tribe Zenaidini

Genus Geotrygon

Geotrygon purpurata
Geotrygon saphirina
Geotrygon versicolor
Geotrygon montana
Geotrygon violacea
Geotrygon caniceps*
Geotrygon leucometopia*
Geotrygon chrysia
Geotrygon mystacea*

Genus Leptotrygon

Leptotrygon veraguensis

Genus Leptotila

Leptotila verreauxi
Leptotila jamaicensis
Leptotila cassini
Leptotila conoveri*
Leptotila ochraceiventris*
Leptotila plumbeiceps (incl. battyi*, treated as a species by Gibbs et al. (2001) and Dickinson (2003))
Leptotila rufaxilla
Leptotila wellsi*
Leptotila pallida*
Leptotila megalura

Genus Zentrygon

Zentrygon carrikeri*
Zentrygon costaricensis
Zentrygon lawrencii
Zentrygon albifacies
Zentrygon frenata
Zentrygon linearis*
Zentrygon chiriquensis
Zentrygon goldmani

Genus Zenaida

Zenaida asiatica
Zenaida meloda
Zenaida aurita
Zenaida galapagoensis
Zenaida auriculata
Zenaida macroura
Zenaida graysoni

Saludos,

JC
============================
J.C. Fernández-Ordóñez
San Carlos (Venezuela)
jcwarbler AT yahoo.es
www.anillo.tk
Presumably resulting from AOU-SACC Proposal #560 (Remsen, Oct 2012): Add "Tribes" to classification where warranted.

Last edited:
Fruit Doves

Alice Cibois, Jean-Claude Thibault, Céline Bonillo, Christopher E. Filardi, Dick Watling & Eric Pasquet. Phylogeny and biogeography of the fruit doves (Aves: Columbidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. In Press.
Abstract

Cibois et al

Alice Cibois, Jean-Claude Thibault, Céline Bonillo, Christopher E. Filardi, Dick Watling & Eric Pasquet. Phylogeny and biogeography of the fruit doves (Aves: Columbidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. In Press.
Abstract
Recommends reinstatement of the following genera (in addition to Ptilinopus, Alectroenas, Drepanoptila):
  • Megaloprepia: magnificus, bernsteinii (reverts to M formosa)

• Ramphiculus: marchei, merrilli, leclancheri, jambu, occipitalis, fischeri? (not sampled), subgularis? (not sampled)

• Chrysoena: luteovirens, layardi (reverts to C viridis?), victor

Last edited:
Recommends reinstatement of the following genera (in addition to Ptilinopus, Alectroenas, Drepanoptila):
  • Megaloprepia: magnificus, bernsteinii (reverts to M formosa)

• Ramphiculus: marchei, merrilli, leclancheri, jambu, occipitalis, fischeri? (not sampled), subgularis? (not sampled)

• Chrysoena: luteovirens, layardi (reverts to C viridis?), victor

TiF Update:
September 5
Cibois et al. (2013) carried out a fairly complete analysis of Ptilinopus, including most Ptilinopus species. The current arrangement of Ptilinopus is based on their results. They suggested a six genus treatment that retained Alectroenas and Drepanoptila. However, this may mean that Ptilinopus is not monophyletic, and it does not materially solve the problem of Ptilinopus heterogeneity. I do not recommend it at this time.
[Columbidae, Metaves I, 2.68]

Ptilinopus Tree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back