• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Purple Emperor filmed at Sheringham Park last wednesday. Scarce (Yelow-legged) Tortoiseshell seen in coastal dunes in the Netherlands recently and Southern Small White moving north on the continent. Interesting times

Winterton

18/7 Two Graylings on the brambles near the carpark at Winterton plus one in the dunes. Also one good sighting of a Dark Green Fritillary in the dunes plus a couple on the wing.

20/7 Foxley Wood. Several Silver Washed Fritillarys sighted near to the entrance. Also saw one White Admiral flying up into the trees. Numerous Large Skippers and Gatekeepers and Whites in the wild flower borders.

For John Furze!

I'm reappearing just once on BF to post a picture of a delightful valesina Silver-washed Fritillary at Holt Country Park today: John was kind enough to show me the current 'hotspot' when I bumped into him yesterday.

Attachments

• valesina best.jpg
    valesina best.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 55
  • valesina2.jpg
    valesina2.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 52
Nice photos Dave! I went there a few weeks ago & was disappointed to find all the buddleia in the car park to be dead, dying, parched and brown. Clearly from your photos there are other stands of flowering buddleia in the park which the butterflies are favouring this year.
Cheers, Paul

Purple emperors reported at two North Norfolk sites during the last week. How likely are these to be part of a relic population in the county? Despite the 2018 increase in sightings nationally of this much sought after species, is it highly likely that these individuals are indeed from a released source? I'm unable to trace any data suggesting an expansion of their range in Norfolk or neighbouring counties.

There's zero chance of a relic population - the last remaining site at Foxley was sprayed with pesticides from the air by the forestry commission in the 70's. I have reports from Sheringham and Beeston for the third year running (second for Beeston), with a "possible" suggested for Holt CP anecdotally but not formally submitted.

The suffolk population has expanded from its original site at Theberton (where it was introduced) and is now within 30km of the Norfolk border. I would expect its arrival in the Waveney valley sometime in the next few years. Cambs also reports moderate northwards expansion. The status of the Sheringham individuals is unproven - they might have decided to jump across the county, they might possibly be already breeding somewhere in the middle of the county undiscovered, or they might be from a cardboard box. If they are a natural population (and not sporadic releases) then they clearly aren't multiplying much - no one has seen more than one at any point this year. I'd have felt happier if they had turned up at the same time as PE everwhere else in the country rather than after the main flight elsewhere was over, but it's not definitive proof of a release.

Thank you HD for the situation report that portrays these recent sightings. Hopefully this butterfly's range will expand naturally into Norfolk.

20/10 Saw a solitary Wall Brown on the path leading from Rockland Staithe to the hide overlooking the broad. Perhaps part of a third brood? Also still seeing Small Whites.

I had a Holly Blue in Thorpe today, Small Copper, Common Blue, Brown Argus and Speckled Wood were reported seen 21st, and Painted Lady and Red Admiral on 22nd - I'd expect Brimstone, Peacock, Comma and Small Tort are all possible as would just possibly be Small Heath and second Brood White Admiral. So until the temperature drops below freezing there's still time to get a sizable day list - and still a chance of a Camberwell drifting over .

3 species in garden today. 1 each of Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral. Reckon Comma and Holly Blue before the weekend, given the weather and climate change.

Last edited:
I've had two reports of Comma and a Painted Lady. Last year's first Holly Blue was 17 April but yeah, like you said - climate change :-(

And just come back to add - you called it, first Holly Blue reported Sunday 24 February at Ringstead

Last edited:
I have several purple buddleia bushes in the garden and was wondering if anyone has experience of the yellow buddleia (B. globosa) in attracting butterflies etc.

I have several purple buddleia bushes in the garden and was wondering if anyone has experience of the yellow buddleia (B. globosa) in attracting butterflies etc.

I have a deep purple buddleia a couple of metres (6Ft after Brexito:)) from a yellow one here in the Midlands. When the purple Buddleia has butterflies, none appear to be attracted to the global yellow from my observations.

Richard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back