• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is using a DSLR for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

TobiasK

Hi,
i've seen a lot of great pics of a guy here at this page, using a zeiss 85 and a canon 350d
who else is using a dslr-camera?
since i do not know which small camera to buy, i am considering using my 350d
i am aware of the difficulties like mirror-shake....

thank you all
bye
tobias

I use a Nikon D40 coupled to my Kowa TSN 820 with the 850mm Kowa photo adapter. Dead easy to fit. Take out the normal eye piece on the scope and the adapter screws straight onto the threaded eye piece connection point. DSLR then fits on the other end via an appropriate T mount, the same way as a normal lens would, with about a 1/4 turn . Taking pictures is easy with the Nikon ir remote but getting the shutter speed right for the actual daylight conditions is the difficult bit. You need to practise a lot in the garden first.

Snipe at Minsmere April 2007 attached as one of my first field shots.

Regards

Colin.

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 271
I do sometimes. The best combo is my D200 with either the Swaro ST80HD and the SLR adapter or the Leica Apo 77 with the DSLR adapter.
With the Leica, I'm getting with this combo an equivalent to an 800mm telephoto lens (before the crop fcator) and I use it freely on my tripod with the Wimberley gimbal head (hand panning and shutter release).
When I attach a TC-17EII between the camera and the adapter the focal length is 1360mm (with the crop factor calculated it's 2040mm). For this a remote shutter release cable is needed as well as mirror lock up (MLU).
The attached sample was taken with the Leica and the adapter only (800mm focal length) while panning and following the bird.

Attachments

• JJ4_9059f.jpg
    JJ4_9059f.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 286
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back