• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird box exposed to sun? (1 Viewer)

El CID

I have a garden bird box attached to a fence where a couple of wrens are setting up home.
The box has no shade between 10.30am & 2.30pm, in the inlikely event of sunshine occurring in the UK would it be wise to shield or maybe put a foil cover on the roof to reflect any heat.

I have a garden bird box attached to a fence where a couple of wrens are setting up home.
The box has no shade between 10.30am & 2.30pm, in the inlikely event of sunshine occurring in the UK would it be wise to shield or maybe put a foil cover on the roof to reflect any heat.

Couldn't hurt I guess but I would be chary of making changes of any kind to the appearance of the box until the wrens are well settled in. It generally takes very little in the way of disturbance to cause birds to abandon their nests early in the breeding cycle; later on, once the clutch has been completed, or better yet the eggs have hatched, they're much less likely to desert.

Couldn't hurt I guess but I would be chary of making changes of any kind to the appearance of the box until the wrens are well settled in. It generally takes very little in the way of disturbance to cause birds to abandon their nests early in the breeding cycle; later on, once the clutch has been completed, or better yet the eggs have hatched, they're much less likely to desert.
Yes your right, the last thing I want to do is disturb the wrens, they are quite shy anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back