• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Any Golden P. news in last few days at Wolfreton?

Thanks.

We checked the area briefly in passing yesterday but no sign although they obviously will be there somewhere. Some time, patience and luck or preferably all three are required to see one of these here.

A male Tawny Owl was calling constantly for over half an hour across the road from my house this evening and is my first record in the village since 2009 so very pleasing to hear one again and also a year tick.

Nothing wrong with twitching in reasonable moderation as long as you behave yourself, respect locals and the habitat that you are in, and adhere to on site instructions if there are any (superb arrangements at Hoveton Hall Gardens). Have never found for instance an American Wigeon but having twitched several, I am at least somewhat clued up on the identification features as witnessed in the field so that if I'm ever lucky enough to come across one myself I may have a fairly good chance of knowing what it is.
Many of my days out birding revolve around twitching one specific rarity surrounded by checking out the general area for my own birds which generally works for me. If I don't find anything particularly unusual myself I can at least go and see someone else's good bird and go home with a feeling of reward for my efforts.

Steve.

As someone who is still very much a novice birder I find it helpful when people give information such as time/location. That way I get to learn what the bird looks like in flight/hunting/roosting etc which gives me confidence to identify it when I see it elsewhere.

Welcome to Birdforum stuarta21, many times I envy people who are just starting out on their birding careers, you have many great experiences and finds ahead of you, enjoy, for what it is worth here are a few tips:-

1. Start right at the beginning, look at some very obvious birds, Great Crested Grebe, Green Woodpeckers and Kestrels - acquaint yourself with these birds fully.

2. Buy some field guides - this one is very good by Lars Johnsson called Birds of wood, park and garden, very naturalistic illustrations. If you can't get that get the new Helm guide of confusion species. When you get home from a good days birding pour over these birds and try to absorb as much information as possible.

3. If you can draw, buy some tracing paper and draw some of these birds, try to work out the different parts of the birds without finding out their names - start with head, tail, beak etc, work out how the bird can fly using its different feathers, stick the tracing up around your home and office, look at them everyday, imagine the excitement of seeing these birds in the field.

4. Call Birdline 09068700245 once a day in the evening, plan your day according to what you want to see, on many days there just won't be much about, so go to places that you really like. Don't call Birdline just before going out birding in the morning, there won't be many updates - you'll just be wasting your money!

5. When you arrive at a particular site, be in a state delirious excitement that you literally have to race to the sightings board, be careful though these sighting sometimes show all the birds that have occurred in the last week, so the chances are you will only see about 1/5 of the birds reported.

6. You will find that just by turning up at sites eventually an absolutely corking rarity will have turned up and there will be birders around to guide you through its ID. I'm afraid it will be about 30 years before you find your own rarity - but it will be worth the wait!

7. Try to appreciate common birds, I know you probably want to see all the rare stuff but if you don't now you will have to wait another 20 years before you realise the common stuff is what it is all about.

8. There is a really good magazine called Twitching, you can find this is some shops selling bird books but many experienced birders will have back copies - you may have to haggle!

9. Join the RSPB, for the youngsters there is the YOC and look out for a great cartoon called Rook, (I'm not sure its still going though), some of the trip reports are mouthwatering.

10. You will see lots of birders these days carrying very expensive binoculars, you don't have to splash out massively if all - try out every binocular and find the one that suits you - a 250 quid pair of second hand Zeiss West will do nicely.

11. Obviously you can't afford a camera at the moment, but rest assured photographing birds is very difficult! There are only one or two decent photographers about - their photos are split into three categories 'excellent', 'good' and 'record'

So that's about it - be humble, realise that there is a wealth of knowledge that will take a lifetime to learn and have fun!

Last edited:
I am sorry Jim ,but I have never followed up a recent current bird report off birdline or the web to look for a rare bird. However I do read widely on ornithology and have at times followed up published data which is often years old to visit habitat that might hold interesting birds. While on a university field trip I did once visit a cliff top site in south Devon back in the 1990s where I knew cirl buntings were present from reading the previous years bird report. Otherwise I just read the weather maps, look for suitable habitat and see what is there. Is I have told others I will cross the road to look at a rare bird , but I will not get in the car and drive down the road to find one. As part of a wind farm research project I undertook I spent one day a week from dawn to dusk in east Norfolk for a year logging the presence of as many birds as possible within 1 Km of the proposed wind turbine site and logged the total of 198 species\races including a number of rare species some of which had not been recorded in the area before. But that is nothing special, spend that amount of time on any Norfolk field close to the coast and you will be surprised what you will pick up.

As I said in the first post it’s nice to see a rare species and if one comes over of course you will study it, but if you have not got the ornithological background for many species how can you be sure you know what you are looking at and this becomes more problematic if the sighting in officially recorded. One only has to look on the Q and A section of this forum so see bird watchers claim so have seen a difficult species only to see a later post where the guy is unable to ID a female blackbird or dabbling duck. I am not saying a novice birdwatcher should ignore a rare bird but I do think he should concentrate on the more common species to build a bank of knowledge before serious chasing of rare birds. As for coming in contact with novice birders Jim I do a lot in the course of past and present jobs. I used to teach ornithology at the UEA and had 100s of novice birders as my students and at present every summer I meet many more in the course of my job. Raptors can be very difficult, but time and time again I meet guys who are claiming a honey buzzard or goshawk when the bird is clearly a common buzzard – and not all of them are novice birders. Most had placed too much faith on what they had read rather on what the birds realy did. Yes common buzzards do fly on flat wings at times and when in the moult for long perods and on very rare occasions honey buzzards will leave a wood on rasied wings for the first circle or two. That is the sort of info that you can only pick up from realy knowing your birds and even so I can make the odd mistake at times. Hopefuly quickly corrected.

Last edited:
Titchwell February 8th

Today's highlights:

Barn owl - hunting over Patsy's and the grazing marsh this morning
Velvet scoter - at least 7 offshore amongst the thousands of common scoter
Goldeneye - 35 offshore
Great northern diver - 2 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on the fresh marsh
Avocet - 36 on the freshmarsh
Woodcock - tricky to find but showing well when located in scrub between car park and visitor centre
Twite - 1 still on the islands on the fresh marsh

Ed

Welcome to Birdforum stuarta21, many times I envy people who are just starting out on their birding careers, you have many great experiences and finds ahead of you, enjoy, for what it is worth here are a few tips:-

1. Start right at the beginning, look at some very obvious birds, Great Crested Grebe, Green Woodpeckers and Kestrels - acquaint yourself with these birds fully.

2. Buy some field guides - this one is very good by Lars Johnsson called Birds of wood, park and garden, very naturalistic illustrations. If you can't get that get the new Helm guide of confusion species. When you get home from a good days birding pour over these birds and try to absorb as much information as possible.

3. If you can draw, buy some tracing paper and draw some of these birds, try to work out the different parts of the birds without finding out their names - start with head, tail, beak etc, work out how the bird can fly using its different feathers, stick the tracing up around your home and office, look at them everyday, imagine the excitement of seeing these birds in the field.

4. Call Birdline 09068700245 once a day in the evening, plan your day according to what you want to see, on many days there just won't be much about, so go to places that you really like. Don't call Birdline just before going out birding in the morning, there won't be many updates - you'll just be wasting your money!

5. When you arrive at a particular site, be in a state delirious excitement that you literally have to race to the sightings board, be careful though these sighting sometimes show all the birds that have occurred in the last week, so the chances are you will only see about 1/5 of the birds reported.

6. You will find that just by turning up at sites eventually an absolutely corking rarity will have turned up and there will be birders around to guide you through its ID. I'm afraid it will be about 30 years before you find your own rarity - but it will be worth the wait!

7. Try to appreciate common birds, I know you probably want to see all the rare stuff but if you don't now you will have to wait another 20 years before you realise the common stuff is what it is all about.

8. There is a really good magazine called Twitching, you can find this is some shops selling bird books but many experienced birders will have back copies - you may have to haggle!

9. Join the RSPB, for the youngsters there is the YOC and look out for a great cartoon called Rook, (I'm not sure its still going though), some of the trip reports are mouthwatering.

10. You will see lots of birders these days carrying very expensive binoculars, you don't have to splash out massively if all - try out every binocular and find the one that suits you - a 250 quid pair of second hand Zeiss West will do nicely.

11. Obviously you can't afford a camera at the moment, but rest assured photographing birds is very difficult! There are only one or two decent photographers about - their photos are split into three categories 'excellent', 'good' and 'record'

So that's about it - be humble, realise that there is a wealth of knowledge that will take a lifetime to learn and have fun!

Thankyou Songkhran for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. Myself and my girlfriend became interested in birding around October last year. At the time I already had a camera (Panasonic DMC-FZ62 bridge camera) and a pair of Olympus 8x40 binoculars. We have recently bought our first scope (Opticron MM3) which has really helped with regards to indentifying birds and also being more able to appreciate and observe their behaviour.

We have no set aims or goals, we simply enjoy going for a walk round our local reserves and observing the birds there. We are quite fortunate in that our nearest reserve is Gibraltar Point which receives a large number of migratory birds each year.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to be able to learn from other people who have been birding longer than myself, I think one of the best things about this forum is that however simple or obvious the questions I have asked since I joined someone has always taken the time to reply. Likewise I have found other birders I have met when out and about to be very friendly and helpful people, in fact only a couple of days ago someone helped me identify my first Sparrowhawk

@ Tideliner. While some of your perspective has merits, consider this. Not all followers of rare or scarce bird news do so purely to race off and twitch that particular individual. For example some would welcome hearing about some scarce up the coast to become aware of the potential to find one themselves on their own patch. It encourages birders to go out/stay out. The instant sharing of up to the minute sightings through such new media as twitter adds to the birding scene considerably. Yes we can study current weather maps and recall past influxes to predict potential for ourselves but confirmation of an ongoing influx through fellow birders contributes massively to birding enjoyment. Thus a stance of non reporting is strongly against mine and many others principles.

Novice birders should embrace all of birdings facets, including the occasional twitch. They will learn their way and enjoy doing so. In fact they have it far easier than we did. Their options for enjoying birding are wide ranging. Digiscoping, Patch challenging, NGB groups etc etc. If they can watch Blu-ray why stick with VHS on principle....

Last edited:
Tideliner,
whilst I respect your views and often bow to your knowledge of bird behaviour that you report on this thread, there are other ways of learning about birds and I cannot agree with everything you have posted here. I think by now we are all well aware of your birding style, and whilst I cannot believe you have never followed up a report of a rare or scarce bird, I do have a lot of time for the way you choose to go about your business in the field.

You mention splitting the common Hawks and Harriers in the field. Crucial, I agree. But, are you suggesting if an Eleanora's Falcon pops up down the road you would not go and see it, and infact, up and coming birders should continue to watch the local Kestrels rather than make the short journey? I would encourage any 'novice' birder to get themselves down there, regardless of their confidence levels with our common species. I often find that after watching a rare bird, I take that new knowledge out into the field with me, grilling the more common species because of my exposure to a rarer species. I saw my first Red-flanked Bluetail before I had seen, lets say, a Yellow-browed Warbler. Does that make me a poor birder? Have I learnt any slower than anyone else? Don't think so, I was out and about and on both occasions sought my own birds whilst also dipping into some local reports of scarce and rare.

I think geographical location needs to be given some consideration. Again, you use an example which is flawed. Folk new to birding, with a coastal location (dunes, few breeding birds) who are prepared to twitch a little bit, may well be able to ID a Pallas's Warbler and a YBW at 500 yards. If they can, well done, great birding! I personally find YBW and Pallas's easier to differentiate between than Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. To further this point, I have never seen a Cirl Bunting, and if we were having this debate on a South-western thread, I'd probably be slated for having seen Lapland and not Cirl!

There is no set order that wildlife and nature should be studied, or experienced. Learn the common birds first if you wish, for the field skills and knowledge of species and habitat will become invaluable. But, a dash of rarity from the top down will do you no harm. The 'novice' birders you met (and I am surprised by this because you say you always bird alone and don't tell anyone where you go?) have probably been encouraged by mates to hop in the car to see something new. Did the scene play out like this:
"Oh no, I can't leave this Chiffchaff, you will have to go and see the Pallas's without me, that experience will have to wait. I'm still cutting my teeth on the common stuff.....oh wait it's a Willow Warbler!"
No. It went more like:
"Guys, Pallas's Warbler showing well at 500 yards. Never seen one of those! May not get the chance again for a few years if the research I have conducted is correct. The Chiffchaff family will be there tomorrow, I'm off".

So, you have your way of birding, which is great. But, there are other ways of getting involved and enjoying the countryside. For those new to birding- go and see rare birds. Get the bug. Then find your own. Seeing rare makes me appreciate the everyday more and more.

Cheers,
Jim.

Well said Jim! Totally agree with every word said.
Also im Looking forward to hearing about ur coming and goings from the patch or should it be " back garden" come next week!!
Happy birding
Shaky

:clap:

Well said Jim! Totally agree with every word said.
Also im Looking forward to hearing about ur coming and goings from the patch or should it be " back garden" come next week!!
Happy birding
Shaky

Tideliner,

thanks for your response earlier. A lot of what you say makes sense, good birding to you.

Ricky, thanks for the comment, although I feel your positivity may be down to Kevin Nolan rather than my post.....

Updates from the new garden in Surlingham coming to a forum near you, soon.

Cheers,
Jim.

For Roydon Common: at the knights hill roundabout take the a148 to Cromer. Then very quickly take first right signposted Roydon. The car park is along this stretch. Go past the pine trees on right hand side and look out for public footpath sign as entrance is near second one on right hand side. Look out for pile of old fencing in a field. That's at the car park.

Hope you enjoy your visit (I am one of the reserves wardens). The hen harriers about all day.

For Roydon Common: at the knights hill roundabout take the a148 to Cromer. Then very quickly take first right signposted Roydon. The car park is along this stretch. Go past the pine trees on right hand side and look out for public footpath sign as entrance is near second one on right hand side. Look out for pile of old fencing in a field. That's at the car park.

Hope you enjoy your visit (I am one of the reserves wardens). The hen harriers about all day.

Thanks for your help will definitely be visiting I'll pm you any sightings.john

Titchwell February 11th

Yesterday's sightings:

Avocet - 34 on the freshmarsh
Goldeneye - 1 male on the freshmarsh, 30 on the sea
Water Pipit - 1 on volunteer marsh
Barn owl - 1 from fen hide

Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back