• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Drake Red-crested Pochard showing well on Scarborough Mere today, also Black Redstart and Male Stonecaht at the bottom of castle cliff on the rockfall tween lamposts 54 & 55, Pair of Peregrine on the cliff too

Red-crestedPochard003edited.jpg

Had a very good day's birding on the birdrace today, drawing with Jono and Andy's team with 90 species in the York area (although I sadly didn't read Jono's post from yesterday til just now, which might have got us an extra couple of species.

The only downside was at the SEO's mentioned by Doc Reed, where a couple of 'birders' were seen walking out along foss beck, on to private land and dangerously close to the owls roost site. Hopefully the landowner didn't see, as they had previously been reasonably accommodating, but another very good reason why birds such as these in sensitive areas shouldn't be mentioned on national forums such as this, or the bird news services.

I don't subscribe to this;I would never see anything if news was never put out.I don't condone the behaviour of these people.I gave strict instructions in my 3 pms not to enter shooting club or fields.

Claire obviously gained appropriate permission, but would like to know who others were.If they were people I had PM'd I would seriously regret posting.These owls could be seen by many without disturbing them, I'm sure Claire would confirm that.

Great Grey Shrike

Thanks too Dave, Clare and Jim for the information on the Great Grey Shrike at Wroot, manage to find the bird today, the Shrike was quite flighty along the hedgerow and fencepost moving on whenever anyone walked along the top of the enbankment, Whooper Swan were still in the field to the South of the River Torne but the Bewick Swans had flown

Evening all. On a jaunt tomorrow, filthy twitching really. Does anyone know of any Bean Geese towards the coast? Believe there was a report from Barmston? Also the Green W Teal at Watton? Still there? Any info appreciated. Cheers.

Went to see desert wheatear yesterday. Spent a couple of hours in the morning searching for it, not a glimpse. decided to have a look on filey brigg and try my luck later. Got some decent birds from the brigg, red throated diver, common and velvet scoter plus usual waders. Was told there was a red necked grebe in the bay but couldn't find it. Back to bempton, was told wheatear had been seen in the field near staple newk 20mins before. Searched all the fields on the way to the view point, nothing! Got to the view point looked over and it was sat right on top of the stack! Got some decent views, it was feeding in the old nests, also got excellent views of short eared owl aswell. A bonus on the drive home was a barn owl which flew across the road. Added 22 birds to my year list, a very enjoyable day.

Cetti's - Old Moor

Still being reported fairly regularly - does anyone know the best place to look for the bird? Also, is it calling regularly?

Thanks.

Still being reported fairly regularly - does anyone know the best place to look for the bird? Also, is it calling regularly?

Thanks.

don't get too excited about this when i saw it, there was a bloke there who got it the same day, he had done 4 days looking for it without a result. it didn't call at all the day i looked for it. so it looks obliging but in reality it's a bit of a bugger to see. but hang around the screen area on the way to the bittern hide for best chances of finding it

I don't subscribe to this;I would never see anything if news was never put out.I don't condone the behaviour of these people.I gave strict instructions in my 3 pms not to enter shooting club or fields.

Claire obviously gained appropriate permission, but would like to know who others were.If they were people I had PM'd I would seriously regret posting.These owls could be seen by many without disturbing them, I'm sure Claire would confirm that.

Hi Doc,

Bit last resort I know, but surely you could try finding birds like this yourself?

The problem with giving instructions on a national website is that you don't know who you are dealing with necessarily, plenty of people on here are less than the ideal birder; well honed in fieldcraft, ethical and willing to obey instructions.

Look, I posted some vague directions on here to the birds before it became clear they were lingering, but in hindsight I think that was a mistake. It just seems that with the advent of affordable and easy to use DSLR's, all and any photogenic bird species that get reported to a wider audience get disturbed, or habitat around them gets damaged. For proper rarities that have no real conservation significance, or birds that are passing through and are unlikely to stay for a long period, I would hate to see any news being suppressed. On the other hand, potentially overwintering birds of quite a high conservation significance, I feel should not be widely publicised. The york email group that they were being reported on previously seemed to be an appropriate platform, where most people are known to someone else.

The fact that, despite it being a very good year for SEO's, very few are being reported, seems to suggest that a lot of the people out looking for them would perhaps agree with this point of view.

Thanks too Dave, Clare and Jim for the information on the Great Grey Shrike at Wroot, manage to find the bird today, the Shrike was quite flighty along the hedgerow and fencepost moving on whenever anyone walked along the top of the enbankment, Whooper Swan were still in the field to the South of the River Torne but the Bewick Swans had flown

Absolute pleasure Steve.

You can see Daves fab pic here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/47813980@N08/6653302593/in/photostream

I`m afraid some people are 'do as I say, not as I do...' Stay off private property, at least it`s good manners.

And, yes, like I said I gained permission not to get closer to the birds, but for lighting purposes.

I happen to appreciate Doc letting us know, some people work and don`t have a great deal of time to go out looking for hotspots so I can use my 'easy to use DSLR'

The SEO`s can be seen hunting close to people. Dog walkers use the track down there very often, human impact does not seem to bother them too much, as can be seen at a well known North Lincolnshire site.... they have huge fields to hunt on, yet they seem to favour areas closer to people....

Last edited:
I have to say on the few instances of seeing SEOs, they have actually approached me and given me the once over before flying off to do whatever they wanted to do. One was being harassed by magpies and it flew straight to me and stayed close until the magpies lost their nerve.

Hi Doc,

Bit last resort I know, but surely you could try finding birds like this yourself?

The problem with giving instructions on a national website is that you don't know who you are dealing with necessarily, plenty of people on here are less than the ideal birder; well honed in fieldcraft, ethical and willing to obey instructions.

Look, I posted some vague directions on here to the birds before it became clear they were lingering, but in hindsight I think that was a mistake. It just seems that with the advent of affordable and easy to use DSLR's, all and any photogenic bird species that get reported to a wider audience get disturbed, or habitat around them gets damaged. For proper rarities that have no real conservation significance, or birds that are passing through and are unlikely to stay for a long period, I would hate to see any news being suppressed. On the other hand, potentially overwintering birds of quite a high conservation significance, I feel should not be widely publicised. The york email group that they were being reported on previously seemed to be an appropriate platform, where most people are known to someone else.

The fact that, despite it being a very good year for SEO's, very few are being reported, seems to suggest that a lot of the people out looking for them would perhaps agree with this point of view.

Sorry but your first post was something i would expect to read in the Daily Mail, i was at the location for most of the morning whilst the clay pigeon shooting was going on for 2 hours. The owls never came close to me at the roadside and preferred to be within a 100yrd of the shooting range and this didn't bother them in the slightest.
I spoke to Clare and Mark when they arrived and also witnessed them get permission from the shooting club, as i walked the track the owls carried on doing their thing and at no point was there any sort of pressure put on them.
It's a good job all birders don't have your attitude and yes one or two people have given photographers a bad name but not this time or location.

I'm not criticising anyone that was on the track, I'm sure they got the appropriate permission. Nor am I trying to say that SEO's are especially timid and retiring creatures whilst active. the only point I am making is that within a few days of details of these birds being advertised on here, I saw two people walking across private land, on the edge of the beck, and very closely approaching the area the owl's roost in during the day, in an area which is also sensitive for other species of conservation concern (which they probably had no clue of their existence). Now whilst SEO's might not mind people around whilst they are active, I am pretty sure that if they get kicked a few times from their day roosts, they won't stick around for long. No-one disturbed the birds for the few weeks they were present prior to the details being given on here. So all I am saying is that lessons should be learned (including by myself) and details of birds sensitive to disturbance shouldn't be given out on national forums. Not sure how that is anything like the Daily Mail, I'm all about trying to keep our immigrant owls in this country, rather than trying to get rid of them.

I'm not criticising anyone that was on the track, I'm sure they got the appropriate permission. Nor am I trying to say that SEO's are especially timid and retiring creatures whilst active. the only point I am making is that within a few days of details of these birds being advertised on here, I saw two people walking across private land, on the edge of the beck, and very closely approaching the area the owl's roost in during the day, in an area which is also sensitive for other species of conservation concern (which they probably had no clue of their existence). Now whilst SEO's might not mind people around whilst they are active, I am pretty sure that if they get kicked a few times from their day roosts, they won't stick around for long. No-one disturbed the birds for the few weeks they were present prior to the details being given on here. So all I am saying is that lessons should be learned (including by myself) and details of birds sensitive to disturbance shouldn't be given out on national forums. Not sure how that is anything like the Daily Mail, I'm all about trying to keep our immigrant owls in this country, rather than trying to get rid of them.
And you found these birds yourself??I think not!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back