• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No retro Trinovids after all? (1 Viewer)

Trinovid project is dead?

Reading through Bear83's recent report on the Biggest Week in American Birding, I came across this unwelcome news:

'I also asked the Leica rep if there was any news about the re-introduction of the updated Trinovid models. With a sigh he said the project was a dead end and that nothing was going to be released. Who knows at this point in other words.'

from the last sentences of the 4th paragraph: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376629

John

Last edited:
Apparently the original Leica camera was not intended as a users camera at all, but to test short pieces of film for Oscar Barnack's planned movie camera.

Then it was offered to Zeiss, with the intention of making a Zeica camera.
Zeiss weren't interested.
Oscar Barnack, I think, worked for Zeiss at one point.

So who knows with Leica.

B.

Well, I for one am sorry that their resurrection won't come to pass.:-C

The first good binocular that I owned was a 1983 vintage Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA and I used it often. It was by far the largest of the Leitz Trinovids and it was bright enough to be an effective birding binocular with it's 42mm objectives and 7mm exit pupils.

https://www.allbinos.com/1653-Leitz_Trinovid_7x42_BA-binoculars_specifications.html

I wore out the original eye cups on it. They were screw on types. Leica supplied me with new ones for $25 bucks each. I still have the binocular and both it and the new eye cups are still in excellent shape.

I was surprised how much brighter my new Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN was when compared to the nearly 10 years older Leitz. Some people here would likely describe the Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN as "Dark" ;), but optical technology moves on.

https://www.allbinos.com/628-Leica_Trinovid_7x42_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

Never-the-less, both of these binoculars can still be used successfully for birding as they are :t: -- if one is not too proud to be seen with them.

It would be a good thing for the optical industry if Uppendahl prism binoculars like the Leitz Trinovids could return in today's modern, waterproof dress.

If there is a problem marketing them Leica would be wise to consult with the binocular marketing experts who frequent this forum. :smoke:

Bob

Last edited:
…………...
I was surprised how much brighter my new Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN was when compared to the nearly 10 years older Leitz. Some people here would likely describe the Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN as "Dark" ;), but optical technology moves on.

………….

Bob

One major problem that the big companies tried to keep quiet about was the fact that the roof models are actually lower quality than decent porros as long as the roofs don't come with coated prisms. I had long wondered why my wife's porro 8x40 was actually showing a more vivid view than my old Leitz Trinovid. Sure, that Leitz was a 10x40B, thus providing some higher magnification. And it was probably that difference that for such a long time made me not realize the real reason for the flat picture in that - then - alpha model compared to the mid price porro.

So it was only with the advent of prism coatings that the roof models finally caught up with the porros regarding optical quality.

Last edited:
Reading through Bear83's recent report on the Biggest Week in American Birding, I came across this unwelcome news:

'I also asked the Leica rep if there was any news about the re-introduction of the updated Trinovid models. With a sigh he said the project was a dead end and that nothing was going to be released. Who knows at this point in other words.'

That's bad news indeed. Last December I was told by a Leica representative the Trinovids would, after all, be made. I was even given a tentative timeframe.

Looks like the folks at Leica don't really know what they're doing. I suspected as much for quite some time, not least because of the mess they made when announcing the Trinovids on their website a few years ago.

Hermann
(wondering whether the timeframe he was
given for a Noctivid 8x32 still stands ... )

I would take your Leica contact's predictions with a pinch of salt Hermann. Changing world and markets despite the popularity of 32mm amongst birders. He must be disappointed too.

Regards,

P

Hi,

that news is indeed not good, I'd really have liked a pair of 7x35 with current coatings. Otoh a usually well informed source at Leica has muttered autumn and Uppendahl prisms are not so easy to make the last time I pestered him - maybe a month ago...

We will see what happens...

Joachim

I find it most unusual that some BF members still hold onto the belief that Leica is going to launch both a retrovid Trinovid and a 32mm Noctuid this year despite rumour, unfulfilled promise and history.

I remember the days of the 1960s when the English / British car industry had a healthy state of at least twenty manufacturers and companies but they are long gone, from affordable sports cars to luxury saloons and so full of character. We cannot turn the clock back sadly.

I find it most unusual that some BF members still hold onto the belief that Leica is going to launch both a retrovid Trinovid and a 32mm Noctuid this year despite rumour, unfulfilled promise and history.

Not so sure about that. The Trinovids would be at a somewhat different pricepoint, and I think they'd appeal to a different group of customers, the 7x35 in particular, which seems to be the most sought after model. At least that's what I was told.

Hermann

I'd have likely bought one, but frankly would just prefer a 7x32 Ultravid... it's a friggin shame that one is not made.

Soloist in the wilderness...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back