• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Moremi Botswana (1 Viewer)

DAVID LIVERMORE

Took these 2 photos in Moremi Botswana 2 weeks ago, No idea on the first one but thinking european Honey buzzard for the Raptor. Or Bathawk
Any help most appreciated.

Attachments

• KYA00147asmall.jpg
    KYA00147asmall.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 55
  • KYA00223small.jpg
    KYA00223small.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 35
yes Yellow Throated Sparrow looks good. Marsh harrier looks OK but no stripes on the undertail threw me off. No better angles unfortunately

I agree with Yellow-throated Sparrow.

I don't see a harrier though. The combination of large eye, small beak and black crissal area is throwing me. It still seems to be relative compact, without the long wings I would expect of harrier. Marsh Harrier would only be this black if a male and the underwing does not match any male I have seen and the crissal should be pale as well.

My immediate reaction was Great (Black) Sparrowhawk, but in detail this doesn't seem to fit either.

The bird is obviously in moult, it looks as though the secondaries are short - but how this impacts the plumage is unclear.

Do you have any field notes or any other photos that give any further clues?

I don't see a harrier though. The combination of large eye, small beak and black crissal area is throwing me. It still seems to be relative compact, without the long wings I would expect of harrier. Marsh Harrier would only be this black if a male and the underwing does not match any male I have seen and the crissal should be pale as well.

My immediate reaction was Great (Black) Sparrowhawk, but in detail this doesn't seem to fit either.

The bird is obviously in moult, it looks as though the secondaries are short - but how this impacts the plumage is unclear.

Do you have any field notes or any other photos that give any further clues?
For me no pb, it's a African Marsh Harrier.
Jean

Ad African Marsh harrier indeed.

The bird has just started its primary moult indeed but that doesn’t really impact the shape of the bird as the first secondaries will only be dropped when about half of the hand is already replaced.

Ad African Marsh harrier indeed.

The bird has just started its primary moult indeed but that doesn’t really impact the shape of the bird as the first secondaries will only be dropped when about half of the hand is already replaced.

Great thanks for your help guys. African Marsh Harrier it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back