• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Testing the Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Third time (and one year later) is the charm

My Zeiss 8x25 Terra situation seems now to be resolved. I received the (second) warranty replacement last week, have now had a chance to try them, and I think they are fine. The hinges are stiffer than either of the previous two units and work well, and the optics seem fine as well. The view is not as easy to acquire as my full-sized bins, which is to be expected for an 8x25, but they also seem a bit more sensitive to eye placement for minimizing aberrations than are my considerably smaller Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL. Even when perfectly aligned with my eyes, the view of this Zeiss is distinctly different in character from the Ultravid. The Zeiss has a generous sweet spot and the view is nicely contrasty, but it isn't as easy on my eyes. The Zeiss has very little curvature of field, but unfortunately it has a lot of astigmatism and CA off-axis, so it is neither sharp to the edges nor can the edges be brought into sharp focus. Consequently, for me the Ultravid has a larger sweet spot overall. If I can't get a sharp view edge to edge, I much prefer field curvature without much astigmatism to flat field with astigmatism, so I like the Ultravid better.

All in all, I think the Zeiss 8x25 Terra is superb for my purpose, which is to function as a kid's bin. For that, it is hard to beat given its lack of minimum IPD issues, good size for small hands (including easy to reach focus), 5 ft close focus limit (good for looking at insects, frogs, and other things that are nearby), reasonable exit pupil size (3 mm) and FOV (6.5 degrees, 357 ft) despite overall small size, and acceptable size eyecups for kids (and enough eye relief for glasses wearers).

Finally, I'll note that this new production unit appears (as best I can remember) to be the same design as the mk 2 unit that I received as a replacement for the somewhat different mk 1 unit that I originally purchased. However, the packaging is entirely different and much improved. Instead of coming in a large clear and white plastic case inside a generic white box, the 8x25 Terra now comes in an attractive cardboard box with magnetic closure. More importantly, instead of coming with a useless drawstring cloth pouch for storage, it now comes with a very practical (and properly fitting--not oversized like so many cases these days!) hardened clamshell with zipper closure and belt loop. The case also has a useless magnetic quick closure strap. I suppose it was put there to hold the clamshell closed while on the belt and with the bins out of the case, but all it really does is get in the way of zipping the case open and closed. It is easy to remove cleanly by snipping it off with hot (to melt the cut end so it doesn't fray) scissors. Likewise, although the supplied binocular strap is functional, I find it overly complicated with lots of little plastic bits, rings, couplers etc. Better just to remove all the end hardware (which can scratch lenses if the bin is not cased carefully) and pass the ends of the strap directly through the ends of the bin, sewing them back upon themselves for security. The strap can also be simplified and de-bulked a bit by slicing off the rubberized Zeiss logos.

All in all, I'm happy with the Zeiss 8x25 Terra and to have come to the end (for now!) of this warranty replacement saga.

--AP

Last edited:
The original clear plastic box with a white base was designed to display the binos clearly when stacked up in what the USA calls 'big box stores' where most of the merchandise is left inside their cartons. With the clear plastic upper part, the Terras were always on display.

The magnetic closure strap on the carry-case is similar to the one on the SF case and when I want it out of the way I simply tuck the loose magnetic end down against its base on the back of the case and it stays there, trapped between the strap base and the back of the case. Maybe this is possible with the Terra case rather than resorting to permanent surgery.

Glad you got this sorted at last Alexis and I am surprised Zeiss doesn't do more the publicise the suitability of this model for kids for exactly the reasons you point out.

Lee

I have one small glass I call the miniature, an LXL 8X20, I used to use out in the field, I can't get used to the small eye-cups, the optics are good for a 8X20 but.....just too small, so I have been using the FL 8X32, a great portable glass for observation. I don't have to pack that light, so the miniature is in the box.
I think Zeiss is going to have to work very hard to produce a new 8X32 the same size and beat the current FL in a 8X32.

A.W.

+1 on the suitability for kids.

Mine are 5 and 7 and are part a local nature club. I had initially purchased a Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 bin thinking that the compact size of this bino + lower magnification would be great for them but they both struggled with the focus mechanism and size (small in my hands, big in theirs).

After reading reviews on the Terra 8x25's I purchase a couple of these and the kids couldn't be happier. Much more usable friendly for them, more comfortable fit in their hands and much easier to focus as well.

And the quality of these binos is such that I expect they should last them well into their teenage yrs..

Jeelan

I just received my pair of 8X25 Terras. In my opinion, the build of these bins feels very chintzy compared to my other Zeiss bins. I have a pair of 8X42 Terras and a pair of 8X42 Conquests. The 8X42 Terras take the cake in terms of ergo and build quality. The Conquests are great optically, but have more than a few functional and build problems (play in the focuser, eyecups that do not extend nearly far enough). The 8X25 are certainly the worst in build. The focus wheel is very sticky and jerky. It's tough to get a good view often. Some of this is expected from a 25mm, but I just wanted to make clear that these are in no way of the same build quality of the larger models.

I gave one to my son when he went to Brazil a year and a half ago. It was meant to be for casual use and he has had no problem with it so far. He has had it with him in Manaus, on the Amazon River, in Belem and Aracaju and Sao Paulo and Salvador. He will be home in December and I will look it over.

Bob

Having used these quite a bit for months now, I've found a few new gripes but remain impressed.

CA is a bit more prevalent than I initially indicated, but remains well outside of the centre of the FOV and is mostly unnoticed. Whites can appear a bit bluish in some conditions and the overall colour palette seems muted in failing light. My right side hinge is a bit loose but I like my unit so will not be sending them off for replacement as it is still workable.

Otherwise - sharp, contrasty clean image, smooth focus, easy to use for a compact and useful as a back-up / biking / dog-walking / glovebox bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back