• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Big Year - 2016. 398 so far. (1 Viewer)

A month on from Dan's comment - has this appeared anywhere?

All the best

Hi Paul

I know Birdwatch have been in touch with him as he gave me permission to give them his email address. Im not sure whites happened since then.
Marks in the middle of a big relocation so maybe busy.

Mark Pass's list

Hi Paul

I know Birdwatch have been in touch with him as he gave me permission to give them his email address. Im not sure whites happened since then.
Marks in the middle of a big relocation so maybe busy.

I recently spoke to Dominic Mitchell and Birdwatch are not doing a specific article on Mark. Does anyone have any news of when/how Mark Pass is publishing his list?

I know Mark personally and it’s no “urban myth”.
Is he obliged to publish something he did for himself? And have it pulled apart, vetted and commented on?

Is he obliged to publish something he did for himself? And have it pulled apart, vetted and commented on?

Like the Biking Birder did you mean? Or Arjan and his world list? Or the Dutch WP listers? No he's not. But many of us are just interested in our fellow birders and would have liked to celebrate the achievement with him on here, as we did with the guys listed above. Can't blame us for being disappointed about being deprived of that. o:D

John

crikey! no! completely the opposite... what john said ^

furthermore, it's a fantastic achievement which should be documented

Last edited:

I'm sure that it isn't necessary to wait for a published list. As I understand it, the claim is 406 on a UK400 Club basis for 2016 in Britain only. It must be possible to overlay on a spreadsheet the species recorded for 2016 and exclude those that were impossible/unlikely. I see I attached Adrian Webb's record year early in the thread so I may update that spreadsheet for this purpose.

It will be interesting to understand whether the additional 23 were because of changing patterns or additional effort.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Adrian Webb 2000.xls
    75.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

No he's not but but what's the point in telling people he was doing it then?

Unless it is vetted in some way or held up to some scrutiny, it cannot stand as a record can it?

Last edited:

Unless it is vetted in some way or held up to some scrutiny, it cannot stand as a record can it?

He didn’t go about it to tell others - he did it for himself. He’s quiet and unassuming. His effort was “outed” by others (I’m not naming here).
I doubt at this stage he’s going to want to go back and document everything - he was even asked for photos of each bird to “prove” he saw them etc.
Enough to spin anyone out maybe?
It is a shame maybe I agree - it would be a fascinating read.

He didn’t go about it to tell others - he did it for himself. He’s quiet and unassuming. His effort was “outed” by others (I’m not naming here).
I doubt at this stage he’s going to want to go back and document everything - he was even asked for photos of each bird to “prove” he saw them etc.
Enough to spin anyone out maybe?
It is a shame maybe I agree - it would be a fascinating read.

I think that if anyone, known or otherwise, started turning up at EVERY rarity, they'd get noticed and people might guess what was on.

You have this incredible habit of taking the wrong end of the stick on any and all issues, and then, when the reality of the situation is explained to you, rationalizing away that explanation somehow, to stick with your original view.

Really is astounding.

Owen

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back