• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small gull juv, Latvia (bad pic.) (1 Viewer)

CerambyX

Latvia
Hi,

Maybe someone wants to try to ID this gull from just this one crap photo? o:)
Can't really add anything much more than it is seen in the picture - saw this gull with naked eye in fast flight with deep-ish wingbeats (that caught my attention) departing into the fog and managed to snap only this one frame.

I guess there are only two options - Little or Sabine's Gull. First one being common over here, second - very rare.

What's your opinion? Have fun! B :)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• larus_x1.jpg
    larus_x1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Brown covert bar, and black wedge on primaries, also brownish head suggests juv Sabine's but very difficult from this one photo

Brown covert bar, and black wedge on primaries, also brownish head suggests juv Sabine's but very difficult from this one photo

Well, that was also my first feeling after looking at photo in display... Such a shame I didn't notice this gull some 5-10 seconds earlier - if I had seen some additional features with binos, than there would be higher possibility for it to be accepted as Sabine's gull (would be only 9th record). If it was one, of course.

What about fog? Do pelagic gulls occasionally come closer to the coastline when there is thick fog? Not that it could be used as a 'ID feature', but I'm just curious.

What about fog? Do pelagic gulls occasionally come closer to the coastline when there is thick fog? Not that it could be used as a 'ID feature', but I'm just curious.

Seabirds do, simply because they can no longer see the land they usually try and keep away from. A couple of years ago we had a (then) record count of Balearic Shearwaters (+ Yelkouan Shearwater) off the south Cornwall coast on a foggy day. Plus a Sabine's Gull (rare on that coast).

Seabirds do, simply because they can no longer see the land they usually try and keep away from. A couple of years ago we had a (then) record count of Balearic Shearwaters (+ Yelkouan Shearwater) off the south Cornwall coast on a foggy day. Plus a Sabine's Gull (rare on that coast).

Thanks for the input! Haven't really done too much sea-watching so not much experience in different weather coditions (yet)! But that day visibility was exteremely poor (150-200m at best) - scope was useless :-O

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the opinions! Sent the picture + a description (not much in there, obviously) to our equivalent of rarities committee, but no decision yet. I don't have my hopes high though, as I'm aware that it's difficult to make a judgement from just one awful photo. Birds can look deceivingly different in crap photos than they look in real life.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back