• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I came across one of these in the Cabela's in Post Falls, Idaho yesterday. The price tag was $799. They also had Swarovski 8x32 EL, 8x30 SLC, Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD. While I prefer the open bridge EL in pure ergonomics terms, the image differences are pretty slim, if in fact they exist in a practical sense. The Meopta 8x32 had a more or less Leica like image, for lack of a better term. Didn't appear as bright as the Zeiss, and maybe a touch more neutral than the Swarovski, particularly the SLC. The image appeared more neutral in color bias than did the 8x42 Meopta. This gave the appearance of the x32 being a tad brighter and maybe a tad sharper than its x42 big brother. I actually prefer the feel of the x32 over the x42 Meopta. I'm a little ambivalent over the design of the diopter, but for the price, for a top end compact glass the little Meopta is where I'd go.

As far as the ergonomics are concerned, I could live with any of them, but find I least prefer the front location of the focus wheel on the SLC. But were I to win one in a raffle, I'd be content with any. It does seem to me the Zeiss especially, and to a smaller extent the Leica, could do a better job of a less "slick" exterior. The Meopta was nicely tactile and pleasantly "grippy" in texture and feel. Looks and feels about like a smaller version of the x42 Meostar or Cabelas Euro (as if that should be a surprise from looking at the photos).

Last edited:
Hi I have tried the Meopta 8x32 it can really hold its own against other European brands and comes in to its own in low light levels with the coatings they have used.

I could not agree more. In just about every sense I thought the Meopta was directly comparable to the little Swaro EL.....but at about half the price.

I have my hands on the big 8x56 at the moment...and what a performer that is. It is, arguably, the best edge sharpness performer I have ever had the privelege of trying.

I could not agree more. In just about every sense I thought the Meopta was directly comparable to the little Swaro EL.....but at about half the price.

I have my hands on the big 8x56 at the moment...and what a performer that is. It is, arguably, the best edge sharpness performer I have ever had the privelege of trying.

I had the Meopta 8x56 a while ago, but sold it because I wanted something lighter in weight.

I now have the Zeiss FL 8x42 and a Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

For my eyes this binocular was simply the best. Color tint was a bit yellow though.
Edge sharpness and flare suppression was the best I have ever seen in a binocular.

Also the view is so relaxing.

I wonder is there another 42 binocular out there which delivers a similar image as the Meopta 8x56?

I have never looked thru other Meopta binoculars except the 8x56.

Do the Chinese ED binoculars perform similar to the 8x56 Meopta?

In the comparisons I have done, the 43mm Chinese ED binoculars are on a par with the 42mm Meopta as far as the image alone is concerned. The major difference is that the Meopta has a slightly yellowish color bias.

But add enough glass to build a 56mm, and I think the only logical assumption would be that the 56mm Meopta would show clear brightness advantage and should also have an edge in resolving power. The Chinese ED class does not come in anything larger than the 42-43mm objective size, so you can not do a comparison from a level playing field.

Steve's comments are pretty much spot on. The 56 mm Meopta is noticeably brighter. Resolution is excellent but I have not really done a side by side to see which offers noticeably better resolution.

...still the edge sharpness and overall low levels of distortion are something to brag about. There is some color fringing in the outer part of the image but a good 2/3rds of the image is free from it. With the field flattener/edge sharpness combination the image is simply outstanding overall but especially relaxing as well.

This is a superb optical instrument if size is not a concern.

I also have the 2x booster in my possession. When you mate it with the 56 mm scope you basically have a very nice low powered scope. Image quality with the booster is surprising good. The image is a little softer and, of course, a little dimmer but edge sharpness is even better than without the booster and the overall quality of the image is much better than what I expected.

Thanks for your opinion, guys!

Which 42 binocular offers a similar, relaxing image like the 8x56 Meopta?

Frank, you said you own a 8x42 Meopta, how does it compare?

I have the Zeiss 8x42 and recently bought a Swarovski EL 8.5X42.

But both the Zeiss and the Swarovski do not have that relaxing image like the Meopta 8X56 had.

Matt.

But both the Zeiss and the Swarovski do not have that relaxing image like the Meopta 8X56 had.

Matt.

Matt,

I suscpect your eyes have told you something you probably should pay attention to. Sometimes when we find something that fits us we ought to quit looking and just go out and enjoy the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back