• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (3 Viewers)

The "Flight Identification of European Passerines and Select Landbirds" by Tomasz Cofta & Michał Skakuj
(Nov 2020 456 pages, 2000 colour photos, 1850 colour illustrations Publisher: WILDGuides) looks interesting as it promises detailed coverage of 206 passerines and 32 near-passerine landbirds. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the book is that it's illustrated using digital imagery examples of which, perhaps including some artwork from this book, can be seen at https://www.coroflot.com/TCofta/portfolio.

Last edited:
The "Flight Identification of European Passerines and Select Landbirds" by Tomasz Cofta & Michał Skakuj

Looking forward, it could become one of my most valuable references. :t:

I met Tomasz over 20 years ago on a migration ringing camp on the Baltic. He was then watching tens of thousands of migrating birds and working on the book. It was a revelation to me when he pointed that one can easily tell a flying finch from a tit only by shape of the trail it makes in the air. And tell most species of European finches by shape and flight only, without the call or the colors.

And concerning quality of his art: i still remember how his illustration of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker caused an argument on BirdForum that somebody photographed the live bird! :D

Last edited:
Looking forward, it could become one of my most valuable references. :t:

I met Tomasz over 20 years ago on a migration ringing camp on the Baltic. He was then watching tens of thousands of migrating birds and working on the book. It was a revelation to me when he pointed that one can easily tell a flying finch from a tit only by shape of the trail it makes in the air. And tell most species of European finches by shape and flight only, without the call or the colors.

And concerning quality of his art: i still remember how his illustration of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker caused an argument on BirdForum that somebody photographed the live bird! :D

Are you sure he wasn't talking about planes......!

Something lost in translation maybe because I have never seen a bird leave a trail in the air?

"Flight Identification of European Passerines and Select Landbirds" sounds like a good one. Flight ID is largely absent from a lot of field guides, with flight style and flight views often ignored - especially rear views of almost everything and underside views of passerines. The exceptions would be a couple of seawatching books and the raptors in flight books.

I do have a Birds of Britain and Europe guide by Rob Hume that has small diagrams indicating the flight track/style and a brief written description of flight style but the flight view illustrations are mostly top-side, when underside views are arguably more useful. The "What's That Bird?" book by Michael Hayman & Peter Everett has views from behind of birds in flight though it would benefit from better illustrations (and a more compact size).

Given the available technology these days it must be theoretically possible (though a LOT of work) to make an app/website with 3D 'models' of each species where you could rotate and view the bird from any angle, perched, and 'in flight' (preferably with accurately pose-able wings - and for perched, moveable head, spreadable tail etc). CGI for TV and film can already do that. The above can't be too many years away from reality. Until then, I'll buy the book.

Jurek, "trail it makes in the air" made perfect sense to me. Incidentally I've got photos of quite a few 'trails' left by birds in the air - though they did disappear a bit quicker than most aircraft vapour trails, but they did show where the bird was a second or two before and direction of travel could be ascertained....;)

Attachments

• 16698921668_f146c74bc5_c.jpg
    16698921668_f146c74bc5_c.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 51
The "What's That Bird?" book by Michael Hayman & Peter Everett has views from behind of birds in flight though it would benefit from better illustrations (and a more compact size).

Better illustrations? Hayman's artwork is as good as it gets and in some ways better than that in the Collins Guide. "The Mitchell Beazley Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe" has many of the same (or very similar) illustrations and is one of the most pocketable field guides. A great shame it was flawed by having no maps, poor descriptions of call and, I think, no lengths (my copy's in Spain).

Having had a quick double-check of the "What's That Bird?" book, John, I think there's a number of illustrations that don't come close to meeting your description. Winter Grebes, Warblers etc. For what it is, it is a very handy book but let down, in my opinion, by some of the illustrations. I do agree with regards the other book - and what it does manage to squeeze into a small, very useable size. An actual pocket guide.

Whatever, an imaginary line the bird makes in the air, a flight path.

This is a long-exposure shot taken from the bridge of a ship at night in the Weddell Sea in Antarctica. The crazy white lines illuminated by the beams of light are the flight path of a Snow Petrel.

Attachments

• sp.JPG
    sp.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 103
This is a long-exposure shot taken from the bridge of a ship at night in the Weddell Sea in Antarctica. The crazy white lines illuminated by the beams of light are the flight path of a Snow Petrel.

Very interesting shot. Something one usually does not get to see. Thanks so much for sharing.

And of this Common Swift illustration I made a few years ago for the Portuguese breeding birds Atlas:

I actually love your illustration much more than the more mechanical looking ones you presented first. Though the fulmar picture with the waterfalls is great as well.

I see from the link below that Peter Harrison hopes to complete a new comprehensive guide to the World's Seabirds by the end of the year.
Something he's been working on for years.
Looks like it should be an amazing and monumental piece of work.
:t:

https://www.apex-expeditions.com/blog/peter-harrison-seabirds-new-identification-guide/

Excellent news - I knew that it was in progress and I had heard that it was "nearing completion" but this will be fantastic. The combination of Howell & Zufelt's photo-ID guide with a completely new, modern Harrison guide will really mark a new era in seabirding!

I see from the link below that Peter Harrison hopes to complete a new comprehensive guide to the World's Seabirds by the end of the year.
Something he's been working on for years.
Looks like it should be an amazing and monumental piece of work.
:t:

https://www.apex-expeditions.com/blog/peter-harrison-seabirds-new-identification-guide/

Hi Aidan,
hope you're well.

I don't know if you saw the link about the proposed pelagic to Marion Island....

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385628&highlight=marion+island

I was at one point considering going and in reading up, it was stated somewhere that Peter Harrison would be on board, signing his books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back