• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (4 Viewers)

All the 'Sound Approach' volumes are great books in terms of content and this one promises to be no different. However, I find them almost impossible to read for any length of time. A landscape format with a short spine and deep pages may be OK for coffee table art/photographic books but it makes books difficult to hold comfortably and to read. Although I greatly admire the scholarship and knowledge they contain I've never yet managed to read one all the way through or to do so for more than a few minutes without becoming irritated by the design. There's a reason why, overwhelmingly, books have long spines and less deep pages ....

I echo everything said here, also don't like the sound buttons, they remind me of the books I have for my baby with barn yard sounds, just provide a CD wih the book!

I admire the scholarship involved but really detest the format.

I have used the CDs of the earlier books just once each: to get out computer file system files for much easier use than CDs. Let's see how the new system works. I am ready to complain, in any case. I am just wondering what the letters USB stand for. Yes, I know that it may be Universal Serial Bus or Universidad Simón Bolívar, but I do not see how these are applicable in this case.

I have used the CDs of the earlier books just once each: to get out computer file system files for much easier use than CDs. Let's see how the new system works. I am ready to complain, in any case. I am just wondering what the letters USB stand for. Yes, I know that it may be Universal Serial Bus or Universidad Simón Bolívar, but I do not see how these are applicable in this case.

A flash drive type device?

'New two-part interactive digital Maghreb Key Species Guide included on accompanying USB. They can be read and listened to with an interactive ePUB3 reader like iBooks (Apple iOS) or Lithium (Android).'

Last edited:
I echo everything said here, also don't like the sound buttons, they remind me of the books I have for my baby with barn yard sounds, just provide a CD wih the book!

I admire the scholarship involved but really detest the format.

What about those of us that don't have a CD player anymore! :eek!:

Why wouldn't you have one?

Not needed one for a few years now - last couple laptops not had one either.

It's annoying about some old photos etc that are still on CD, but they're not something I'm likely to look at again anyhow.

USB is next - I try to just work with USB-C, so have to use an adaptor even for a USB now!

Makes me feel almost as old as you, Andy! o:)

James

Not needed one for a few years now - last couple laptops not had one either.

It's annoying about some old photos etc that are still on CD, but they're not something I'm likely to look at again anyhow.

USB is next - I try to just work with USB-C, so have to use an adaptor even for a USB now!

Makes me feel almost as old as you, Andy! o:)

James

You'll get there one day hopefully, as long as you stay away from Elephants ;)

Since we met, around my 40th, the time has gone soooooooooooo fast it's unreal, 20 years in a blink almost.

Hmmm well this looks interesting! |:d|
As I noted when I posted about it on this thread earlier (see post 401) some of Cofta's artwork (perhaps including plates from this work) can be seen at https://www.coroflot.com/TCofta/portfolio.

Here's the blurb for it - "A richly illustrated, state-of-the-art field guide for identifying European passerines in flight--the first of its kind Opening up new frontiers in birdwatching, this is the first field guide for identifying European passerines in flight, featuring more than 830 stunning color illustrations from acclaimed bird artist Tomasz Cofta, who creates remarkably lifelike images using the latest digital technology. With detailed coverage of 206 passerines and 32 near-passerine landbirds, this cutting-edge book features a seamlessly integrated approach. It combines Cofta's precise illustrations, which depict key shape and coloration features, with a range of photos for each species that show how they appear in flight. The species accounts are short, sharp, and authoritative, and essential information on individual flight manner and flock structure and behavior are represented concisely. In addition, flight calls are transliterated, briefly described, shown as sonograms, and backed up with a unique collection of more than a hundred online audio recordings. While the book is written in a style that will appeal to all birders, it also contains new knowledge on flight identification, making it a must-have for professional ornithologists and scientists as well. The first field guide to flight identification of European passerines Covers 206 passerines and 32 near-passerine landbirds Features more than 830 stunning color illustrations Includes a range of photos showing each species in flight Provides extensive information on flight calls

Lynx have started promoting a 960 pp book called "All the Birds of the World" due out in August. Anyone have any more details?

The question is how comprehensive will it be. 960 pages are not much in comparison to the 1900 pages of the two volume HBW and BirdLife lllustrated Checklist. Maybe it is a follow-up to the Checklist.

Lynx have started promoting a 960 pp book called "All the Birds of the World" due out in August. Anyone have any more details?

Probably just something they've devised to wring out the last of HBW's income potential. Can't find any reference to it on their site John and it returns no search results?

This is new on me too and by my pal Des

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-of-the-philippines/

I've got a very OCD dillema now, do I put these books together as a set or arrange them regionally like I usally do!

Last edited:
The announcement for All the Birds of the World is on the Facebook page of Lynx Edicions. But there is still no information besides the book title.

Andy, I sympathise. I arrange my books regionally (e.g. fieldguides, handbooks, etc, in the various faunal regions), then by categories (etymologies, catalogues, check-lists, type species, art and artists, biographies, extinct birds, and so on), and finally by series/publisher, either in classification order (e.g. Oxford, Helm/Pica, Lynx) or number order (e.g. New Nats). My major headache is finding shelf space. I am already encroaching onto my wife's bookshelves (removing her 'stuff' to the grandchildren's bookshelves!)

Andy, I sympathise. I arrange my books regionally (e.g. fieldguides, handbooks, etc, in the various faunal regions), then by categories (etymologies, catalogues, check-lists, type species, art and artists, biographies, extinct birds, and so on), and finally by series/publisher, either in classification order (e.g. Oxford, Helm/Pica, Lynx) or number order (e.g. New Nats). My major headache is finding shelf space. I am already encroaching onto my wife's bookshelves (removing her 'stuff' to the grandchildren's bookshelves!)

I do pretty much the same,
all Poysers together but Helms are all over the place in regions, obvioulsy Mammals, reptiles, insects etc are all in ther own groups. It's ease of finding as much as anything else.

The Lynx books will probably end up together as a set when there are more of them which won't be long at the rate they're going.

Another minor OCD niggle is that they're not using the same colour for all the covers :C

As regards space, the eternal foe, we've decided that the only answer is to move house which we hope to do in the near future, the downside to that is lumping quite literally, a ton of books from one house to the other!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back