• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (3 Viewers)

The Beechcraft had more than the usual amount of stagger, and its primary role was enhanced cockpit visibility... it truly was the "corporate jet" of its era.

Its a very streamlined design (personally I think the tail design spoils the lines quite a bit, but the rest is fabulous) and gets a massive bang from the engine's buck as a result.

John

Its a very streamlined design (personally I think the tail design spoils the lines quite a bit, but the rest is fabulous) and gets a massive bang from the engine's buck as a result.

John

The Staggerwing was a product of its era, and as a result hearkens back to an art-deco aesthetic. After all, it went into production in 1932! A pretty sophisticated design for its era. I like it for what it is. But yes, its big tail is not elegant. Still, it typically ranks in the top ten of all-time most beautiful aircraft polls, right up there with the Locheed Constellation.

Attached is a better view of the tail and "staggerwing" profile.

Attachments

• no5.jpg
    no5.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 31
The Staggerwing was a product of its era, and as a result hearkens back to an art-deco aesthetic. After all, it went into production in 1932! A pretty sophisticated design for its era. I like it for what it is. But yes, its big tail is not elegant. Still, it typically ranks in the top ten of all-time most beautiful aircraft polls, right up there with the Locheed Constellation.

Attached is a better view of the tail and "staggerwing" profile.

Well, I've never bought into the Constellation adoration, either. It's not in the same league as Concorde, the Spitfire, Mosquito or DH Albatross - or for that matter the Beech Staggerwing. I've a real soft spot for the Dak if it comes to that: such an elegant wing, and a look of eagerness to get into the air.

I'm not trying to fill a top ten, but I can't believe I didn't mention Hawker Hunter....

John

When I was at a folk festival in South Australia in October, I spotted this biplane flying over. It was a bit too far for even my P900 zoom to pick up any detail.

Can someone explain (in simple terms please) why this system of wings was developed and are they still producing such planes?

Attachments

• BF Biplane P&B thread.jpg
    BF Biplane P&B thread.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 24
When I was at a folk festival in South Australia in October, I spotted this biplane flying over. It was a bit too far for even my P900 zoom to pick up any detail.

Can someone explain (in simple terms please) why this system of wings was developed and are they still producing such planes?
Early biplane was to generate lift and get the required structural rigidity. Wingspan could be shorter.

I think they might still make the Pitt Special acrobatic plane new?
PITTS-S1S-–-PLANS-AND-INFORMATION-SET-FOR-HOMEBUILD-AIRCRAFT-–-LEGENDARY-AEROBATIC-BIPLANE-0.jpg

Aerodynamics have now moved on - the blended wing is being seriously explored for commercial aircraft now.
20200207_200938.jpg

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Hi Delia,

To fly at low speeds, which the early aviation pioneers attempted, requires a lot of wing area, and it was easier to provide a large, mechanically stable wing by creating a box-like structure comprising of two wings stacked on top of each other, connected by sturdy struts, and securely braced by criss-crossed wires.

Early on in aviation, the pioneers were often bird watchers, and their design usually resembled birds, and accordingly were monoplanes. Otto Lilienthal actually wrote a book on "Bird Flight as the Foundation for Artificial Flight", giving the best account of flapping bird flight ever produced up to that date.

The Wright brothers invented the practical airplane in biplane form because it was sturdier that way, but monoplanes were quite common into WW1, when biplanes became the standard form for their greater rigidity. (Ironically, the most popular monoplane, the German "Dove", did not owe its elegant wing shape to any bird, but rather to the "gliding" seeds of Alsomitra marcocarpa.)

An important factor for the rise of the biplane layout was that the monoplanes of that era weren't really resembling birds much - their wings had to be braced by dozens of wires too, which created so much drag you were better off with a biplane.

Biplanes are still made today, or produced in kit form and assembled by their owners, but I think all of these are used purely for recreational or sporting purposes.

Regards,

Henning

Thank you so much, both Chosun and Henning for your detailed answer.

It really is so interesting, isn't it.

Omg - don't get me started on aerodynamics Delia - we'll be here forever ! o:D

I was going to be a fighter jet pilot when I was younger - but chronic car sickness and short-sightedness needing coke bottle bottom glasses put paid to that ! :eek!: ..... oh, that and being a peacenik too :-O

Thanks for the extra info Henning :t: - I used to love watching those early origin of flight documentarys where the flapping wing contraptions would shake themselves into a pile of junk !

Well, I've never bought into the Constellation adoration, either. It's not in the same league as Concorde, the Spitfire, Mosquito or DH Albatross - or for that matter the Beech Staggerwing. I've a real soft spot for the Dak if it comes to that: such an elegant wing, and a look of eagerness to get into the air.

I'm not trying to fill a top ten, but I can't believe I didn't mention Hawker Hunter....

John

I don't think there's one jet aircraft that belongs in the beautiful category... the Concorde inches close, but as my dad has always said, "real airplanes have propellers and chit sticking out all over them."

He flew all variations (I think 7) of the Connie...

I'm not trying to fill a top ten, .....

I've seen several top 10 or even top 25 lists poking around on the net, and I can't believe how many exclude the De Haviland DH88 Comet !

gonochnyi-samoliot-poliot-1934-de-havilland-dh-88-comet.jpg

I'm a bit streamlining and aerodynamics mad, so it was a machine that figured heavily in my youthful imagination .... o:)

Other notable mentions were the Saab Draken
AIRPOWER16_-_Air_to_Air_SK35C_Draken_(color).jpg

F104 Starfighter
1280px-Lockheed_XF-104_(modified).jpg

F14 Tomcat
f-14_tomcat_of_grumman_fully_retracted.jpg

SR71 Blackbird
SR71 Blackbird.jpg

I don't think there's one jet aircraft that belongs in the beautiful category... the Concorde inches close, but as my dad has always said, "real airplanes have propellers and chit sticking out all over them."

He flew all variations (I think 7) of the Connie...

Maybe not in the USA, which after all gave us the SLUF, BUFF, Rhino, Warthog and Aardvark :-O :t:

John

Dad snapped these pics of his Connie getting a bath... 1962 San Francisco.

Attachments

• 10633352_10207560892648827_707502629306126647_o.jpg
    10633352_10207560892648827_707502629306126647_o.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 11879051_10207560895328894_7987314884392420660_o.jpg
    11879051_10207560895328894_7987314884392420660_o.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 26
P51 @ 555mph !!!

In the Revhead thread but some flyboyz might have missed it ..... :cat:
Video of the hotrodded P51 Mustang "Voodoo" leading up to and at their piston powered propeller driven record attempt. :cool:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_WDFpaE2IY

Also a fascinating article giving some details of exactly what it takes to get a 'warbird' based racer able to push 555mph in level flight. Engine control seems thoroughly agricultural !
https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/worlds-fastest-piston-airplane-180969509/

Class! I notice the one of the triple-tail has the ominous shape of a brand-new 707 in the background.

John

Indeed, that was the year dad started flying the 707. He said it was a wrestling match to fly, and developed callouses handling the yoke over the years!

Indeed, that was the year dad started flying the 707. He said it was a wrestling match to fly, and developed callouses handling the yoke over the years!

Boeing, eh…… ;)

What about that 747 New York to Heathrow yesterday? Bet that was a rough crossing, riding the jetstream all the way to take an hour off the subsonic record! (There were some pretty hairy landings at LHR yesterday and a bunch of go-rounds as well!) :eek!:

John

Boeing, eh…… ;)

What about that 747 New York to Heathrow yesterday? Bet that was a rough crossing, riding the jetstream all the way to take an hour off the subsonic record! (There were some pretty hairy landings at LHR yesterday and a bunch of go-rounds as well!) :eek!:

John

That was interesting, but I doubt it was any "rougher" than any other crossing... riding the jetstream at 38K is generally pretty nice going.

Aside, dad loved flying the 747. He called it "an old man's airplane." Gentle in the hands, a genuine pleasure to fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back