• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x56 FL (1 Viewer)

Jack Speer

So Mrs. Speer's birthday is coming up in a few months and I want to get her a new binocular. She's been using an old EO Ranger 8x42 for a long while.

I recently acquired a Swarovski 8.5x42 FP from the EO closeout. I switched with her and let her use it on a few days out birding and she really likes it. Unfortunately EO has sold out of this model and I would prefer not to pay the full price for a new pair, but I saw they still have a demo 8x56 FL. This would definitely be too big for her, but I was thinking maybe I could give her my 8.5x42 and pick up the FL for myself. I have done some searching and found a very favorable and well written review by Henry Link.

The 43oz and 7.9" long body concern me in terms of image stability, but the unsurpassed image quality intrigues me. Does anyone have any thoughts?
This would be for birding sessions, typically no more than half a day, and shorter day hikes. For backpacking I think I would need to pick up a lighter model, perhaps an 8x32.

Thank you for the help.

Jack,

It looks like no 8x56 users are going to respond. Unfortunately I am not one either, so cannot comment on the allegedly superlative view. But as a 10x56 FL owner, I can at least tell you that for me it is too heavy and big to be enjoyable for birding. FWIW also, despite the FL's high transmission and good color correction, the view does not so badly beat my 10x50 Leica Ultravid BR to tempt me to use it often. .

For stargazing however, reclined with head, back and elbows braced, I don't much notice its bigness, and it is the best 10x I've used.

Ron

Jack,

It looks like no 8x56 users are going to respond. Unfortunately I am not one either, so cannot comment on the allegedly superlative view. But as a 10x56 FL owner, I can at least tell you that for me it is too heavy and big to be enjoyable for birding. FWIW also, despite the FL's high transmission and good color correction, the view does not so badly beat my 10x50 Leica Ultravid BR to tempt me to use it often. .

For stargazing however, reclined with head, back and elbows braced, I don't much notice its bigness, and it is the best 10x I've used.

Ron

Ron,

I appreciate the response. Yes I am thinking it will probably be too big for birding and I am not sure if I want to give up my current pair. It was a fun thought though!

Best,

What kind of viewing does Mrs. Speer usually do?

If it is general birding, then she may go for a nice 8X32. It gives up just a little brightness in extreme gloom and near the dark of the early morning or late evening but that may not be a material factor if the binocular is generally not used at those times. There is also the point that a larger objective can give a better optical result (as you picked up in the 56mm reviews) but again, it may not be a factor in practical use.

She may like the much smaller size and lighter weight. Those attributes may make it easier for her to get a more steady hold. Another advantage of the 8X32 over the 8X42 class is there are more that have a extra wide FOV of over 400 ft which is great for birders. Many of the nicer 8X42 models have a FOV of around 380 ft although there are exceptions.

If you are considering the high end models, my two top choices are the Nikon EDG-II 8X32 and the Swaro EL SV 8X32. I ended up going with the Nikon but the downside is a big drop in resale value. I would not buy one at normal retail street price for a new model. The down side of the Swaro is stray light handling in certain situations and some experience rolling ball.

My choice for best value is the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32. It has very good optics for a lost less money. Another possible choice is the possibly soon to be outgoing Zeiss FL 8X32 which is very light and small for a high end model.

If Mrs. Speer wants to stay with a 42mm, then consider the new Nikon Monarch HG 8X42. What makes it a standout in the class is the extra wide FOV of 435 ft and the relatively small size and light weight (23.4 oz, no strap or caps) for a 42 mm. I picked one up recently and the more I use it, the more I like it due to the good optics and very nice handling. One thing to note is it has a nice large center view but it is not flat edge to edge even though it uses field fatteners.

I am with Ron H. on the weight of the big Zeiss. The much lighter 10X50 Swaro EL SV is to much for me to use for general use due to the weight. My admiration goes to though that can use the big guys on a regular basis! The Zeiss FL 8X56 FL has appeal to me as a reference binocular based on what Henry has found. It would be fun to use out in the field on occasion but my personal preferences are to use something lighter and smaller on a regular basis.

Funny bumping into you again Bruce ;)

I don’t know if she really knows the pros and cons of 8x32 vs 8x42. She usually doesn’t delve deep into these technical things. I will have to give her a quick run down.

I think it is safe to classify our birding as "general." We usually go on a hike, spotting what we can as we go. We are not the best at waking up at the crack of dawn, but we do stay out late some days. I’d like her to have something that works in more situations, but it seems that most 8x42’s are much heavier than her EO Ranger, with the Nikon Monarch HG being the exception. I don’t think she had too much trouble holding up my Swarovski, but I do think she would have an easier time and a steadier view with something lighter. That HG is very intriguing.

For 8x32’s, the Conquest HD 8x32 is a binocular I really like and I’m sure the Victory is even better. I’ve read good things about the EDG as well. As for Swarovski, the glare on the 8x32 does seem like an issue. I do see some glare with my 8.5x42 and I don’t think it’s a problem, but I’ve read the 8x32 has more and I’m afraid it might hinder bird ID.

Hopefully we get an opportunity for her to try some of these soon. The decision is entirely hers of course.

Hello Jack,

I know I'm a year or more late to the birthday party but in case you are still interested the 8x56 FL is a pair of binoculars that I've been using on and off since early summer and here are a few observations - some are predictable but they are first hand from me as a user of this model.

Unlike other largeish binoculars (8x42 HT for instance) with weight out to the front end of the barrels I find the 8x56 FL noticeably harder to hold within my comfort zone, but by no means impossible. This is a result of a combination of factors: wider barrels than a 42; a smoother, slightly slidier finish typical of the FL cosmetics; heavier weight; and the focus knob's positioning closer to the eyes while my hands want to be nearer the front (objective end) of the barrels. In short the 8x56 FL looks and feels a lot more substantial all round than even the long (AK) 8x42 HT.

Image quality is superlative. Using personal, subjective experience here, I'd say the image from an 8x42 HT might just have a touch more contrast/zing (highly technical description as you can see!) but it is a newer design after all... and that is if my perception is right anyway. With the 56 I got a very detailed view of flowers, leaf detail, branches etc, all shadowed by a long row of brick walls behind them even 20-30 minutes after sunset. I was able to hold the binoculars still to see the detail from my front door, this being at a distance of about 40 yards.

If you need the greater light gathering power of the 56 I'd say it is a magnificent glass. It is perfectly possible to hold it still enough for a satisfying and sharp, shake-free image but in my case for a more limited time than I'd like without rest in between. I'm no weakling though quite slight of build but I can't see a point in using this kit in daylight given the excellent and noticeably more compact and lighter offerings in 42 specification.

I was lucky enough to get a perfect specimen in fantastic condition second hand from a reputable and attentive concern in Germany via eBay.

I hope some of the foregoing might be at least a tiny bit useful!

All the best,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back