• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexican Eagles Location? (1 Viewer)

Crested Caracaras are not migratory and are present throughout the southern half of Texas year-round. They're typically seen in areas of mixed habitat with at least some wide open spaces. This can include grassy fields or agriculture fields.

You can see them at parks, especially outside of urban areas, but it's mostly a matter of luck. They are usually seen flying overhead or at a distance.

If you're wanting a good look at one, spending a morning driving back county roads is probably your best bet. I'm assuming you're near San Antonio, so some potential options are:
-Castroville Regional Park
-Pearsall Park
-South Evans Road (near Von Ormy)
-Probably any back roads south of San Antonio that aren't too heavily wooded.

Check eBird for recent sightings.

I can see caracaras by the roadside or sitting in a tree one property over any day of the week.
First time Mrs. S. saw one scavenging on the roadside she came home and said "I saw a penguin today".

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back