• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (2 Viewers)

I thought I would add this Sphaerophoria scripta hoverfly, could not see one when I searched, image from the top view. From Orton Brick Pits Cambs

Attachments

• bluecomhover9x6.jpg
    bluecomhover9x6.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 63
I've posted this request on the main board too, but although it's getting views it's not getting responses, so I'm casting the net a bit further.

Are these Narcissus flies? They were feeding in a coniferous forest in inland Northumberland today

1. Arctophila fulva (superabiens as now called). Great find, never seen one despite looking for 25years!

Thanks John.

It was a complete accident. I'd been photographing a bee a minute or two earlier and it moved off. I thought I was photographing the same thing when I took this, and it wasn't until I got the photos downloaded onto the computer that I realised I had three shots of a bee, (I think it's a tawny mining bee)but the insect in the fourth photo had the face of a fly.

Thanks for your help. Neither of the two hoverflies you identified are in my book (Collins British Insects).

Attachments

• P1210399 copy.jpg
    P1210399 copy.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Tawny Mining Bee (3) copy.jpg
    Tawny Mining Bee (3) copy.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 55
I think it must be another Scaeva pyrastri although its not as immediately obvious as most examples of this species - for some reason I can't explain.

Thanks, John. I'm pretty sure that it was appreciably smaller than the one you called S pyrastri before but I'm not 100%.
But grateful for all your help.
Ken

I've been out today looking for Arctophila in upland pine plantation in S.Yorks - no luck, as usual, but I did see Eriozona syrphoides.

I don't know if you make it up into these parts John, but I found that one in the Harwood forest, on a public path just north of Harwood village, at a point 55°12'46"N, 2°00'06"W (OS Co-ords NZ000910).

http://www.multimap.com/s/kvAS9qgA

Park in the layby just south of the village (no parking in the village) and walk north through the village and up the main track through the forest.

Last edited:
Hi.

Can anybody id this hoverfly for me taken today in the garden.Any help would be really appreciated.

DSCF2501.jpg

Dave.

Thanks very much Brian.I'm finding photography of hoverflies a fascinating subject and as i'm fairly new to this group it's quite a challenge when it comes to identifying them and looking back on my records i now recognise the above but missed it somehow when browsing through my images.Many thanks again Brian for the id.

Dave.

Big Hoverfly

Hello, just thought i would post this photo that i took down near Exmouth, Devon whilst out on a walk along the Coast Path.
I have never seen a hoverfly so big, nearly an inch long ! I have been told it is called '' Volucella Zonaria '' - Britains Largest Hoverfly.

Attachments

• Volucella Zonaria - Britains Largest Hoverfly.JPG
    Volucella Zonaria - Britains Largest Hoverfly.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back