• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which app has an acurate list of all bird names of the world? (1 Viewer)

Obsmapp works very, very well for everything you want to enter in the field. They is a big ‘if’ though: It will not work for those that only want to fill the list without details, because for past observations you need to pinpoint the location on a map, together with the date. It is also not designed to check your list offline in the app (the website serves well for that purpose).

I use Bubo on my I pad
It's free and regularly updates any taxonomic changes
You can also keep different lists

I use Bubo on my I pad
It's free and regularly updates any taxonomic changes
You can also keep different lists

Can't find Bubo on android.

I will play a bit. I think both first options will work. Thanks for the tips.

Edit: The exel list is very confusing. I am not a fan of it. Ebird makes it also difficult to just have a simple tick list.

Last edited:
I can understand why an Android (or for me, iOS) list on your phone is helpful or recording birds in the field, but you need to think about where you want to store your data too - offline or cloud.
eBird stores your observations on its servers, and they are accessible to you via the web - it is the same with Observation.org etc. - ObsMapp is their Android app. As Temmie says, these require you to input more data regarding location, time, because the aim is to share your observations and contribute to citizen science by doing so.
If want an offline list, and want to choose your taxonomy (Clements or IOC) then Scythebill is regularly updated. It doesn't work on Android, and isnt' designed as a mobile app - you'll need a desktop or laptop running Windows, MacOS or Linux, but will import lists from eBird (and suitably configured CSV files from other apps).
Scythebill allows you to put as much or as little information in as you want along with your observations - I used it to consolidate my 'life list' from disparate notebooks, having not kept an up-to-date one for decades.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back