• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Poll - What format do you prefer ( 8x32, 10x50 etc. ) (1 Viewer)

What binocular format do you prefer

• 6x30

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 6x32

• 6x40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7x30

• 7x32

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 7x40

• 7x42

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • 7x43

• 7x50

• 8x21

• 8x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 8x30

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 8x32

Votes: 73 21.7%
  • 8x35

• 8x40

• 8x42

Votes: 85 25.2%
  • 8.5x42

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • 8x43

• 8x44

• 8x50

• 8x52

• 8x56

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 10x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 10x32

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 10x40

• 10x42

Votes: 47 13.9%
  • 10x43

• 10x44

• 10x50

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 10x52

• 10x56

• 12x50

• 12x56

• Leica Duovid

• Variable Magnification Binoculars

• 10.5x42

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edmund,

I've attached a feasibility analysis for zoom binoculars by Kevin Busarow of Oberwerk. Frankly, I don't think they're in the cards.

Ed

Attachments

• Zoom Binoculars_ – Oberwerk.pdf
    202.1 KB · Views: 56
Edmund,

I've attached a feasibility analysis for zoom binoculars by Kevin Busarow of Oberwerk. Frankly, I don't think they're in the cards.

Ed

Ed

Thank you for that interesting document.

My experience at my ripe old age is that if it sells someone will do it, except those who do it usually won't be the ones who already have something to sell, and the incumbents get sour grape syndrome. Many years ago I interviewed a spokesman at IBM, on the record (prepared interview) and was told "we are not children, we don't need mice".

There are some very nice Leica Duovid binoculars out there, a bit heavy but perfectly usable and I think they are a valuable prototype that materially demonstrates that 8-10x would be feasible, at least as a varifocal with those ends. I believe objects that do something more than documents which say it can't be done.

Ask the members of this forum whether they wouldn't love an 8-10x Victory SF, or a Svarovski EL that does 8-10, for 20% more money and 20% more weight.

Frankly I think someone will do it just because the binoculars on the market now are so good that there is getting to be less and less gradual improvement anyone can sell - at least in unaided lens systems with no electronics. And on the other side camera e-finders are improving hugely and with camera optics with binocular viewing comes the zoom.

Edmund

Last edited:
Hi Edmund,

Frankly I think someone will do it just because the binoculars on the market now are so good that there is getting to be less and less gradual improvement anyone can sell - at least in unaided lens systems with no electronics. And on the other side camera e-finders are improving hugely and with camera optics with binocular viewing comes the zoom.

Very good points. I'd add that at least two of the problems mentioned in the Oberwerk document do not affect monoculars, and Swarovski have actually been selling a monocular system with binocular eyepiece for a couple of years now, though in the spotting scope format.

No idea whether the design could be scaled down to "traditional binocular" size. Of course, it wouldn't be a binocular in the strict sense, but from a manufacturer's point of view, the question really is whether it would sell well enough to make it worthwhile.

Regards,

Henning

You mean Steiner ? ;)

Seriously though, I've noticed there are still a couple of pairs of the older Steiner Discovery XP model around for sale new, both the 10x44 and the 8x44, at (IMO) pretty decent prices.
I suggested to my sister she upgrade from her Bushnell, but the Steiner Discovery are just a tad heavy for her.

Why no 7x35 on the list?
There must be a few people using that format. I used to and would again if there was a top class model available.

I used 12x36 IS for 16 years. Now it's 12x32 IS. Also have nice 7x42 and 8x32 but they rarely get used. The 7x42 may be headed elsewhere.

I just find a 12x steady view shows more detail and allows easier identifications than any 7 or 8 power binocular.

Clear skies, Alan

Why no 7x35 on the list?
There must be a few people using that format. I used to and would again if there was a top class model available.
Agreed as well.
My favourite format is 8x30/32 because of size/weight/performance. I don't do a lot of dusk use, and when I do, I quite simply prefer to use a dedicated instrument (say a 7x42, 7x50, 10x50, etc.), so for me the 8x42 is not really a good option (I tried hauling a 795 g 8x42 Conquest HD but it was simply too heavy and big for me). I'm observing with great interest the 8x42 Nikon MHG at 665 g, but then I think to myself if the HGL 8x32 is 695 g or the EDG 8x32 is 655 then there might be something in there both in terms of optical performance (size of the prisms) and durability (especially this is my main concern with the 8x42 MHG).
So, if there was a "sub-alpha-ish" 1000 €/$ 7x35 roof around 600 g and 8.5-9º that would be THE binocular for me. The Nikon 7x35 Action Ex is one of the unexpected binoculars I've really enjoyed using, but at 800 g they were simply not meant to be an everyday binocular (plus the fact that they were so big and clunky that I couldn't singlehand them). I've never tried the 7x36 Sightmark Solitude at 650 g (let alone the now discontinued 7x36 Zen Ray ED2 at 700 g).

Last edited:
Edmund,

At the moment, in the ~42mm's, the ~8× are just over half of those, with the 10×.................... Leica has their 8-12×42 Duovid which is close.

...................Chosun :gh:

As a duovid 10+15x50 owner I would like to respond to the concept that
a 7-10x 42 duovid would be perfect.

Maybe-- except for the extra cost, weight, and limited FOV.
For me this is a specifically optic for distant shore birds and raptors
and astro for eclipses with solar filters.

A great binocular but limited use.
(I would use it more if my neck could tolerate straps instead of that darn chest harness)

edj

Last edited:
I wonder if 8x32 is more popular than 8x30 because there are more models available. If there was a shift in popularity to 8x30 and more manufacturers made good 8x30's I wonder if 8x30's would become the most popular format.

I used 12x36 IS for 16 years. Now it's 12x32 IS. Also have nice 7x42 and 8x32 but they rarely get used. The 7x42 may be headed elsewhere.

I just find a 12x steady view shows more detail and allows easier identifications than any 7 or 8 power binocular.

Clear skies, Alan

I must agree with you Alan. The IS Canons in 12x magnification, both the 36 III and 32 form, will show more detail than any non-stabilized binocular when being hand held. Because of the steady image the 12x seem to be the optimum size. The concept of what magnification you need in particular viewing circumstances changes significantly when using stabilized binoculars.

I don't use non-stabilized binoculars any more.

I bought an 18x50 IS at a knock down price to see how it performed and to my surprise I find that in wetland and shore situations I use it all the time - it's just like a low powered telescope, but for me, more user friendly.

Stan

Alan and Stan,

I agree with both of you. The Cannon 12x36 IS III is a very under-appreciated binocular IMO. Mine is always handy around the house for quick use. The combination of reasonable size, weight and ergonomics, 12x, IS and excellent optics is a performance package well worth the current price and more. It is also a very good low light binocular. Particularly for anyone who has or intends to acquire a collection of several bins for various uses, the 12x36 IS (or similar) should be considered as a serious option.

Mike

Like many I use a bit of a variety but if I had to pin down one particular format which I could use happily across the board and tbere could only be one choice it would be an 8x32.

Tend to agree with you.
However having bought a pair of 10x42 (windfall) I find myself using them more than I expected.
Overall the 8x32 is for me the best choice overall.

Hi Robert,

Tend to agree with you.
Overall the 8x32 is for me the best choice overall.

How doesn the field of view compare to the larger 8x42?

There are situations where small birds are relatively close, and moving about so quickly that I'm more concerned with field of view (so I don't lose sight) than with magnification.

I guess I'd like to have a pair of binoculars optimized for that situation :)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back