• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (4 Viewers)

Mealy Redpoll
It was with some sadness that I realised that this would be the last time I could tick these birds on my year list as in just 37 days they will become the nominate form of the complex and our resident Lesser Redpolls will be relegated to sub-species status once again. I still find this quite hard to accept, as most Lessers show a much darker, sometimes almost a mahogany brown tone of plumage and a much slimmer structure which contrasts markedly with the type of birds I was looking at today - still, I suppose that you cant argue with D.N.A. (well not so far at least) although I suspect that this complex will merit further review before too long? per Chaz Mason
Good Birding YAMYAM

Brambling
So far this Autumn we have recorded 27 Brambling the best year in the Valley for many years
Good Birding YAMYAM

Mealy Redpoll
It was with some sadness that I realised that this would be the last time I could tick these birds on my year list as in just 37 days they will become the nominate form of the complex and our resident Lesser Redpolls will be relegated to sub-species status once again. I still find this quite hard to accept, as most Lessers show a much darker, sometimes almost a mahogany brown tone of plumage and a much slimmer structure which contrasts markedly with the type of birds I was looking at today - still, I suppose that you cant argue with D.N.A. (well not so far at least) although I suspect that this complex will merit further review before too long? per Chaz Mason
Good Birding YAMYAM

Chaz is a little out of the loop - IOC has changed its position and the split of Lesser and Mealy is retained come 1st January 2018.

Had some Hawfinch over centre got Andy onto them who got a few poor shots in snow. Not sure how many as there were some Greenfinch as well. Hopefully Andy will send me some pics to have look at. Will let you know per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hawfinchs Autumn 2017

8th October x1 PH
11th October x1 probables RP
15th October x2 probables PH
16th October x1 MH
20th October x1 DS
21st October x5 PH
21st October x1 MH
21st October x1 MJ
26th October x1 probables DS
28th October x12 probales TCH
29th October x6 PH
29th October x1 JC
31st October x1 PH
1st November x1 RP
2nd November x9 PH
3rd November x2 MH
4th November x3 SH/ DS
6th November x6 MJ
7th November x3 MH
7th November x2 probables MH
11th November x9 DS/MJ
18th November x5 MI
21st November x17 SR
25th November x7 MJ
25th November x1 MJ

running Total - 99.

PH - Pete Hackett
TCH - Tim Hextell
RP - Rob Preston
MH - Matt Hadlington
DS - Dave Saunders
MJ - Mel Jones
JC - John Clarke
SH - Steve Hextell
MI- Mike Ixer
SR- Steve Roper

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Hard work with 4 year old but got short glimpse firecrest just before 10:00am per (Glen) via Phil Andrews
Good Birding YAMYAM

reed bunting, stock dove, tufted ducks g.c.grebe, l.grebe, siskin, l.redpoll,jay g.heron, kingfisher x1, p.wag, buzzard, coal tit, l.t.tit, cormorant, teal, pochard, gadwall, shoveler, goosander, pintail female north island, goldfinch, bullfinch, snipe x30, lapwing, redwing, fieldfare, r.n.parakeet, h.gull, s.thrush, Blackbird, stonechat x2, m.thrush, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldcrest, wren, 2 raven,. treecreeper,nuthatch, brambling x2, willow tit, sparrowhawk, water rail, common gull and Kestrel per Mel Jones
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back