• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina, Patagonia (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hello everybody,

Now two weeks in the southern part of Argentina. Lovely country and evenso their birds.
Made a lot of nice pictures. Three questionmarks/conformation issues.

First one: It's a Miner. My first Miner ever. I think Short-billed Miner. Correct? Photo is taken 50km east of Ushuaia.
Second one: Female type / juvenile Finch. I have only adult males in my book. Is this a Yellow-bridled Finch? Hope so. Photo is taken 20km east of Ushuaia.
Third one: A Oxyura duck. In the lake near El Calafate Laguna Nimez, I saw several Oxyura ducks. Most of them were Andean Ducks. De female types are more browner then the duck on the picture. Is the photographed duck a Lake Duck?

Tx again!!

Greeting,
Lennaert Steen from the Netherlands.

Attachments

• Short-billed Miner 2.jpg
    Short-billed Miner 2.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Yellow bridled Finch 2.jpg
    Yellow bridled Finch 2.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Lake Duck 2.jpg
    Lake Duck 2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 136
No 3 fits perfectly with female Lake duck in Birds of SA - non-passerines.
No 2 fits better with Black-throated/Canary-winged in Jaramillo's Bird of Chile, sorry.
No 1 reminds me of a ground tyrant, not a miner. I am not sure which ones would be possible where you were?

Niels

Edit: having looked up the location, possibly a juvenile ochre naped?

Last edited:
The third one is a Argentine ruddy duck. is lake duck duck some new fangled name for Arg ruddies ? If so why cant they just leave the old names alone so everyone understands what they are.

Hi all,

Tx for the comments.
So number one is a Ground-tyrant. Bloody :C
But spot-billed Ground-tyrant is also a lifer. Good news.
Number two little bit discussion? Does Canary-winged Finch occur around Ushuaia? Yellow-bridled Finch does.
Oke, Lake Duck or Argentine Ruddy Duck ;). Lifer again.

Over one week a new topic Birds of Argentina B :)

All the best.

There were a couple of reasons I preferred the Canary-winged/black-throated for this one: One is the black malar stripe and the other is the yellow on the outer tail feathers, both better for cw according to the Chilean book; however, the book only shows female, not immature. According to Ridgely and Tudor, there should be no yellow or buff on underside of the yellow-bridled which your bird has.

I saw plenty of cw in the lowland western end of TdF, but did not visit the Argentine part and cannot answer which is expected. It is certainly one of the two.

Niels

The third one is a Argentine ruddy duck. is lake duck duck some new fangled name for Arg ruddies ? If so why cant they just leave the old names alone so everyone understands what they are.

Andean Duck which is found in the Andes of Chile and Argentina (and occationally in lowland, more so in winter) is often considered the same species as Ruddy Duck from N America.

Lake duck is a different species, but it has in the past had all of these names attached to it: English: Argentine Blue-bill, Argentine Blue-billed Duck, Argentine Lake Duck, Argentine Ruddy Duck, Argentine Ruddy-Duck, Lake Duck (See avibase).

Niels

#1.- Def. Spot-billed Ground-tyrant. No supercilium for it to be a Miner. Beautiful pic.
#2.- I agree with Niels that it must be a female Black-throated Finch because of yellow primaries and yellowish throat, chest, and belly.
#3.- I'd say Lake Duck as well because of the amount of white on the face.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back