• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

As above, it gives the scense of the birds swirling around a big open space.....The only thought I had, and its only a small thought, somthing nesting at the front, (might need to increase this platform), with the view behind, but Im not sure if that would improve on a great picture already....
Another Great Production, and always keeps me hooked with the wip's, If i could just produce somthing a smidgen of what youve done here, Id be estatic and overjoyed.....

Well done.

The murre piece is brilliant -- totally at odds with everything a 'proper' bird portrait should be, while remaining a perfectly accurate description of something observed. Love it.

Brillant finish Tim! you made all the right decisions. I always think it's of prime importance to know what your painting is "about", as this one thing is what guides the smaller decisions and gives the artist and the work the ability to focus for coherent expression and keeps the painting from going astray. Sorry if I sound too prissy here, too much time spent in art school writing stuff. I hope you know what I mean.

This birds and landscape thing is a puzzle for me, here are some things I'm using trying to solve my latest painting, maybe you can add some insight here.

where is the viewer in relationship to the bird?

how can I get the movement of the bird and the visual movement of the eye traveling through the painting to be in harmony? ie balance of movement in the composition

How do the birds and the forms and colors of the landscape fit together

With mutiple birds, how are they related to each other, how are the interactions expressed while respecting the movements of the composition

Are the lights and darks of the composition supporting the birds in an integrated way so they become one with the whole painting.

With these questions in mind, it is very revealing to look again at Liljefors or Jonsson who are masters at all of the above.

you've been missed Tim! glad to see this start, and I notice from the gitgo , the aliveness is there even in the first strokes....looking forward to seeing it develop.

you've been missed Tim! glad to see this start, and I notice from the gitgo , the aliveness is there even in the first strokes....looking forward to seeing it develop.

Ditto what Colleen said. It's nice to see it from the very beginning. And the bird does seem full of character already.

Can you tell us when and where the exhibition will be Tim?
Thanks Colleen, Ken.
Hi Daf
There'll be some press nearer the date but for info the exhibition will be from Saturday 5th September 'til Tues October 6th. It will be in the Loft Gallery, St Margaret's Hope and my provisional title is 'A Summer Sketchbook'.

all the makings of a strong piece in this 'grin, I'd be tempted to already call it finished, it's got so much already- colour, composition, tension, balance.

Ooops! . . .
Ah well, many thanks for the nice words, but for me the painting was simply dying a horrible death before my very eyes - here's as far as this particular version went . . . so . . .
I turned the canvas upside-down and started again. Now there are still many horrible bits - but they're new horrible bits and I may be able to work with this. Else it'll get wiped off again.
A couple of sketches for an upcoming commission (hopefully).

Attachments

• pere scrap.jpg
    pere scrap.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 77
  • newper1.jpg
    newper1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 78
  • newper2.jpg
    newper2.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 60
Your decision, but I reckon you've been a bit of a hasty young hobbit. Sketches are a load of bull! ;)

Mike

Speaking of the proper way to offer constructive criticism (per my thread) i don't see how anyone could be offended by criticism offered in this tone! I'm going to have to remember the 'hasty young hobbit' line.

Seriously only you know whether it was a dead end or not. It didn't seem bad to me but only the artist knows what he wants and what he sees in front of him. On to the next beauty!

Had I ever gotten such a good result as yours, I'd have kept up, but looking again I can see, just barely, some things that might be a problem, tho nothing I would recognize at this stage....The bull is really named Shaggy? what a guy!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back