• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

I think my jaw literally dropped a couple of times. How come I could stay away from birdforum for so long... Splendid paintings! (And the field sketches I'd put on my wall anytime...)

Stick with the second version Tim. Its coming on nicely . The falcon looks nice and relaxed.
The older peregrine looked unbalanced to my eye. Sketches of the bull are awsome.

All things have had to be on hold whilst I get on with some paintings for the show in South Ronaldsay. I have to be hanging the work on 3rd and 4th which is just around the corner. I want to hang 30 new pieces and I've just completed 22 over the past week or two so I thought I'd post a few to give the idea of the show. It's titled 'A Summer Sketchbook' and all the pieces are derived directly (sometimes verbatum) from fieldwork since April - or the start of my RSPB contract.

Attachments

• razor.jpg
    razor.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 76
  • shag.jpg
    shag.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 94
  • terneggs.jpg
    terneggs.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 89
  • ternchick.jpg
    ternchick.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 96
I've used so many superlatives to describe your work so far, that I really wish I'd kept one or two back to use now. The shag has lost none of its surprise in pale green, and I can feel the arctic tern slipping through its sunlight and shadow cover.

Very, VERY fine work, and the makings of what promises to be a very exciting exhibition.

Oh how I wish I could see this in person, hope some will end up in your book. The consistent quality is superb, and each one is a gem, could never pic a fav but do love the Shag.

A few technical questions....what size, kind of paper, how will you frame them, and how do you work it up from the field sketch? only when you have time.....

Last edited:
All things have had to be on hold whilst I get on with some paintings for the show in South Ronaldsay. I have to be hanging the work on 3rd and 4th which is just around the corner. I want to hang 30 new pieces and I've just completed 22 over the past week or two so I thought I'd post a few to give the idea of the show. It's titled 'A Summer Sketchbook' and all the pieces are derived directly (sometimes verbatum) from fieldwork since April - or the start of my RSPB contract.

This stuff is overwhelmingly good. I found myself musing on whether you are giving things stronger, juicier shadows than a few years ago (e.g. shag, tern chick)- if so, it looks fantastic and long may it continue.

Then there's the subtext- some of these seabirds have actually managed to breed this year. That must be pretty cheering, even if its only a fragile, one year thing as yet.

What beauties Tim! Everything a watercolor can be and a tremendous inspiration to those of us struggling with it. The green shag is exceptional. And as Ed says there is the subtext of the breeding birds.

I must have missed something about 'the book.' Are you having one published of your work? That would be great and I'd love to see it.

I just have to add that ALL your sketches are such inspiration to me...I love all of them, the style in which you present each one, just enought colour to lift it from the page, and a small narative to give it a finish.....

I also think this would be worthy of a book, put me down for a pre order please....a signed copy would be great

:clap:

Here's a couple more for the show. 24 have gone to the framers today - hope to get a few more pieces together over the next week.

Attachments

• DSCN4778.JPG
    DSCN4778.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN4851.JPG
    DSCN4851.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 88
some of the finest watercolour work I've had the privilege of viewing on your thread - the shrike is mindbogglingy fresh.

Tim, you never miss, every work is just the highest level....what size are these?
I'd hate to pay that framing bill:) and I give up what is the name of that fat little bird.

Hi Tim,

Along with Colleen's question about size I wonder about drawing. Do you do very light drawings under your watercolors? When I look at them I rarely see any sign of drawing marks.

As usual the new ones are striking. At first it's not noticeable but on further looking at the orchid drawing I notice that it's mainly green. I asked myself how in the world does he get such a good work while still using so much green? It seems like all the greens should cancel each other out. But that's not the case at all. A lesson for all of us who struggle with foliage.

As far as the bird I looked through my Birds of Europe but gave up. I think I might have thought Dunlin at one point. But the pinkish bill absolutely threw me.

Dunlin it is! And such a curious little thing. The legs are pink, too - but the eyes were brown, therfore (as I understand it) leucistic and not albino.

I was about to say is it a leucistic Dunlin!! I have seen a leucistic woodcock and a Leucistic
Houbara Bustard of all things!!(captive I must stress) Wonderful sight for you Tim.

I have to say I have been drooling over your last entries. Absolutely beautiful work.

I love the Red Backed Shrike.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back