• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to 'Mothing' (1 Viewer)

The Hairy Highlander

Hello Folks,

yesterday i built my firts Moth trap and gave it a go - i'm a Total novice but keen to learn.....
This morning there was'nt many moths but the few that were there, i think i've managed to i.d.

#1 - Rosy Rustic (hydraecia micacae)
#2 - The Butterbur (hydraecia petasitis)
#3 - Lesser Yellow Underwing
#4 - Lunar Underwing (omphaloscelis)

Also a few that i did'nt photgraph but think one of them could have been Syndemis musculana....Is this possible?

I stay on the edge of town not to far from some woods, pond etc etc....

Attachments

• moths 006 (Medium).jpg
    moths 006 (Medium).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
  • moths 008 (Medium).jpg
    moths 008 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 80
  • moths 025 (Medium).jpg
    moths 025 (Medium).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 68
  • moths 026 (Medium).jpg
    moths 026 (Medium).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hi, HH,
Well done building your own trap!
I agree with rosy rustic,
not familiar with butterbur but it doesn't look quite right to me. If pushed, I'd say it was another rosy rustic.
The fourth is lunar underwing.
I'm not sure about the third. A more 'straight on' photo (as with #2) would help. Was it about the same size as the rosy rustic. To be honest it looks more like a lesser yellow underwing to me.
Ken

Last edited:
Hi surreyBirder, thanks for your reply.

i've edited my thread - got #3 and #4 mixed up!....
I originaly thought rosy rustic for #2 but it was a good bit bigger than the other rosy's and the wing patern fitted more for Butterbur, but hey, i'm just startin out on this adventure....

Here's a link to Butterbur..

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=5067

I actually got the i.d. of #3 from your post on 'september moths', i think it was post #15 or something. middle picture?

Last edited:
Hi surreyBirder, thanks for your reply.

i've edited my thread - got #3 and #4 mixed up!....
I originaly thought rosy rustic for #2 but it was a good bit bigger than the other rosy's and the wing patern fitted more for Butterbur, but hey, i'm just startin out on this adventure....

You may well be right... best wait for a 2nd opinion. As I said, not a species I've ever seen.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back