• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herr Hartlaub … in Portuguese! (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
From what I know Hartlaub's Francolin (Francolinus) Pternistis hartlaubi BOCAGE 1869 (a k a "Hartlaub's Spurfowl") commemorates (among many other birds) the well-known German ornithologist, Professor Carl Johann Gustav Hartlaub (1814–1900).

This Francolin was described by the Portuguese ornithologist Barboza du Bocage as "Francolinus Hartlaubi" on page 350 (Attached) in: Barboza du Bocage, J V. 1869. Aves das possessões portugezas d’Africa occidental. Zoologia. Jornal de sciencias mathematicas, physicas, e naturaes; publicado sob’ auspicios da Academia Real das Sciencas de Lisboa 2 (8): 333-352.

… with the following, short motivation:
"Um e outro foram eximinados pelos srs. Hartlaub e Finsch que os consideram representantes de uma especie nova e mui bem caracterisada."
I think I get the drift of it (with help of the "risky" Google translate, I don´t know any Portuguese at all) … that the two [srs. = séniores] Mr. Hartlaub and Mr. Finsch to some extent had examined it … but I hope that someone who does know Portuguese can translate it more properly?

If so, please as accurate as possible, as I would like to quote it myself in Swedish. And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors that I might have done transcribing it.

Attachments

• Bocage 1869 - p.350.jpg
    Bocage 1869 - p.350.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 43
"Um só exemplar da Huilla, d'onde tambem era proveniente o primeiro que descrevemos (loc.cit.). Um e outro foram eximinados pelos srs. Hartlaub e Finsch que os consideram representantes de uma especie nova e mui bem caracterisada."
"One single exemplar from Huilla, whence the first one that we described (loc.cit.) also originated. The one and the other were examined by the senhores Hartlaub and Finsch, who considered them the representatives of a new and very well characterized species."

("the two" that you get in your translation probably stands for "um e outro", literally "the one and the other" (= "both of them"); this refers to two specimens - one [a young male] described here, the other [a female] already described in 1868 but not named ["Francolinus. Sp.?", see ref. at the beginning of the text] - not to the two senhores who examined them.)

Laurent,
Once again thank you!

This is exactly the sort of small, but ever so important, corrections that makes all the difference.

This will make it possible for me to close my entry on this man.

Hartlaub ... over and out!

PS. Strange that there seem to be no plural form for Mr. in English!?

The given names of Herr Hartlaub is/was ... ?

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I simply had to, after having revisited some of the birds (in my MS) described by the fairly well-known German ornithologist Gustav Hartlaub.

Does anyone know why the HBW Alive Key claim his first given name is/was "Karel [sic]"? The normally very trustworthy Deutsche biographie writes it Carl... (here) [i.e. Carl Johann Gustav Hartlaub (1814–1900)]. And this is the version I use in my MS (at least this far ;)), as he's commemorated in in quite a few Swedish Common Bird names (as well as several other birds, by the names; hartlaubi/hartlaubii//hartlaubia/Hartlaubius).

This, the latter, spelling was earlier mentioned/used/pointed at (in post #1) five years ago, without anyone raising objections (or even commenting on it), no-one breathe a word about it ... which made me feel pretty "safe".

Compare with how his name was written in the Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (Helm, 2010): "Karl Johann Gustav Hartlaub (1814–1900), German ornithologist and collector ...".

Thereby: Why (the Dutch or Czech version?) "Karel ..." in today's Key ...?!?

And, why not Carl?

What have I missed?

Björn

PS. Note that he was born Bremen, Germany (as far as I know, with neither Dutch nor Czech Heritage). Equally noteworthy is that Hartlaub's Father was "Karl Frdr. Ludw. ...", which, to me, talks in favour of Carl versus "Karel" ... !? Also note that his Son was equally named "Carl".

Probably due to Paul Leverkühns Obituary who wrote Karl.

But Wilhelm Olbers Focke here wrote him as Carl.

It is possible that Leverkühn wrote him wrong if I read Zur Versöhnung zweier toten Meister. (Hartlaub-Petényi) as Otto Finsch wrote:

...verdanken wir indes Dr. Paul Leverkühn (Jorn. f. Orn. 1901 S. 337-359) einem warmen Verehrer, der Hartlaub allerdings nur einigemale persönlich als flüchtiger Besucher kennen lernte, mit demselbst aber an 15 Jahre (1887 bis 1900) in brieflichem Verkehr stand.

And Focke was also from Bremen as Hartlaub. Would be interesting what Moritz Karl Adolf von Lindeman wrote about him in the "Weser Zeitung" 1. December 1900) as it seems he knew him well. But I haven't seen this article yet.

As I couldn't find his System der Ornithologie Westafrica's online I have a question. Did he really name Anabathmis hartlaubii for himself?

Obviously not for the zoologist Clemens Cornelius Hartlaub (1858–1927) (not born at time of description). But it looks like

Nectarinia hartlaubii Hartlaub (ex Verreaux ms), 1857, Syst. Orn. Westafr., p. 50

OD here.

In this case we can assume the name came from Verreaux (probably Jules Verreaux).

Last edited:
Note that Focke distinguish Carl Johann Gustav Hartlaub ... from "Sein Vater [his Father], Karl Hartlaub" .... Just like in Deutsche biographie (link in post #5).

Martin, we've seen numerous times that Carl and Karl (or vice versa) has been used for the same person (in various European languages), but neither one of those links (in post #6) explain "Karel" ... ?

Until proven otherwise I will keep him as: Carl Johann Gustav Hartlaub.

/B
--

Last edited:
Martin, the Key's entries for hartlaubi, hartlaubia/hartlaubii, Hartlaubius have been updated (some days ago):
Carl Johann Gustav Hartlaub (1814-1900) German ornithologist, collector ...
Thereby, I don't think there's any need to dig further on this one.

All's calm. Unity. Serenity rule.

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back