• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM4 kit question (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

I'm going up to a reseller to test out an MM4 60mm. This would be my only scope and would be used in addition to 10x42 or 8x33 bins. Sometimes on a tripod, sometimes from a vehicle window mount. I think I want the SDL v2 for versatility and 23x (40831M) for FoV. Opinions on this setup?

I see in another thread, someone suggested the 17x and 32x (discontinued) eyepieces. I was ignoring the 17x as I have 10x bins, but the 17x / 32x combo does seem intriguing, if I could actually find the 32x.

Thanks for all the advice!

Marc

mm4 with SDL is a fantastic setup! You'll be very happy I'm sure. The fixed lenses are great, especially at the lower magnifications, for large FOV. 17x (steadied on a tripod) really feels a world away from 10x handheld though binoculars, to me, at least.

You can read about my decision in the german forum Jülich, Bonn (look also at the links in my first post in the forum-thread), or the 'test' from binomania (translate in english works well). Due to this test I was interested for the 60, because I was searching for a lighter scope - very recommended with the v2.

Manfred

I am also considering getting the MM3 or MM4 60mm for a travel scope. I am having a very hard time finding the 23x fixed eyepiece available in the US. Anyone have any ideas?

If you can't get that eyepiece from a dealer, then it can be ordered direct from our US head office in Huntersville, NC - call 704 895 3046.

Cheers, Pete

So I went a got the MM4 60mm/45 with the SDLv2 and 23mm. I bought it from Out Of This World. They were able to sell it "unbundled" without the HDF zoom (B&H only sells the combos now). They also included a free slip-on case, which is OK, but you cannot easily rotate the scope using the ring mount, so I'll probably now use it.

I'm very happy with the view. The zoom is very crisp and the fixed 23x is very nice to look through. I only had a chance to use it once so far and it was pretty overcast. I definitely need to practice more on finding stuff with it!

Overall very happy so far. It's pretty compact and light weight. Even with the whole tripod (a sirui CF T-220FX) and head (sirui VA-5 fluid) it is very easy to carry.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back