• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got sketches? (1 Viewer)

Splendid job with the nuthatch Sam - really worked out well and the hummer is beautifully composed and executed. Love the character and the colours. Nice!

I'll just second third and forth what other's have said. Besides, two of my favorite birds (though I think I've got around 100 or so faves) and portrayed with such grace. :)

Elina

Thanks Tim, Thanks Elina
I know what you mean about having loads of favourite birds.
I have so many i have lost count! :-O
Im going to experiement with blending different pastles for a more vibrant background more often!
Thanks guys :t::t::t:

Sam, I've just found this thread of yours!!! :bounce: It has been a lovely surprise to find you have a cosy art-corner of yourself here in BF, where everybody can admire your sketches and drawings!!! o:)

I wish I had more time to be in the Wildlife Art section! I only visit it from time to time, but every time I come here I leave delighted! :bounce: This time you've provided me the pleasure! Thanks a million for being here!!! :t: :t: :t:

Thanks Marian, it's great to see you in the art section to, i did'nt know you hung out here! |=)|
Yes, this little thread is my home-away-from-home when im not in the gallery (as you know;)) it features some of the stuff i wouldnt normally put in the gallery, such as pencil sketches, unfinished projects ect
I also come here to ask advice from people who are way more talented than me!
Thanks for dropping by Marian, i hope to hear from you again soon....

Sam,
Haven't been on in a while, glad I decided to make your thread a "fly-by". Two more beauties you have here. The Nuthatch has that mixture of curiosity and pugnaciousness (is that a word) to it that I see in them. And the hummer is great, love the colors and the background on him.

Thanks Lisa, i think thats the right word ;)
Im planning on doing mor hummingbirds, lots more North American species.
By the way can i ask if that's a Luicifer Hummiingbird on your Avatar???
Thank you for your wonderful comment :t::t::t:

Sam,
Yes, he is a Lucifer. I am extremely lucky to live by one of the very few places he comes to in the states. I have some others of the same fellow (I think), in my gallery:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/188300/ppuser/39270

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/164634/ppuser/39270

and if you want to see how territorial they are at the feeder, I posted this series in the hummingbird forum last spring:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=111052

I definitely don't have the skill a lot of our photographers do (and definitely no artistic skill like you and some of the other artists we have), but I enjoy posting the pictures when I have time.

Your picture's are amazing Lisa! Im going to re-create your handsome little guy for you on paper, look out for him in the gallery soon ;)
You are sooo lucky to have Hummingbirds in your wonderful country, i will be looking at the Hummer forum more often. Thanks for the inspiration |=)|

Sam, that would be fantastic, I'm sure he will come alive in your very artistic hands. You have a deft touch with all your birds, and especially hummingbirds.
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:(me jumping for joy)

Sam,
I am simply in awe. You've really caught the little fellow - the curve to his bill and the purple on his gorget! He's wonderful. The curved bill is his most distinctive features, he's the only hummer in this area to have it.
You've rendered him better than any photo of a Lucifer I've ever seen.
Wonderful!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Nick, Elis, Arthur (again;)), Mike, Tim and Lisa! o:)
It was a great joy to paint such a wonderful and elusive Hummer, do you think you will ever meet him in Arizona again Lisa?
Many thanks everyone for you inspirational comments, i really do appreciate them :t::t::t:

Sam,
I think I will. I'm not sure why but there is a group that has been coming up to the Huachuca Mountains every spring for the last few years to breed. This year the owner of the B&B where we find them counted at least three males and I think a couple of females. For some reason they really like Mary Jo's yard. Lucifers are still extremely rare any where else in Arizona except Ash Canyon B&B. I am soooo lucky!o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back