• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Had a day up in Northumberland yesterday. Here are a couple of shots of two Red-throated Divers that I spotted in the sea between Cresswell and Druridge pools.

Attachments

• DSC_3096.jpg
    DSC_3096.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_3128.jpg
    DSC_3128.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 78
Had a day up in Northumberland yesterday. Here are a couple of shots of two Red-throated Divers that I spotted in the sea between Cresswell and Druridge pools.

Nice shots, Ron. When I saw them on BirdGuides I thought the bird was on the pond, not the sea!

The Pools, or rather the sea there, always attracts hods of Red-throats, I have seen 40 at a time, but not today when the visibility was very poor. Looking forward to a 'Blacky' and a 'Great Northerny' very soon. :t:

Just in case anyone is interested, the White-tailed eagle that was taken in in Bedlington at the start of September has made a full recovery and has just been re-released back in Scotland.

My brother was out with an RSPB group in Perthshire yesterday and that individual was one of a roost of four that they located.

Just in case anyone is interested, the White-tailed eagle that was taken in in Bedlington at the start of September has made a full recovery and has just been re-released back in Scotland.

My brother was out with an RSPB group in Perthshire yesterday and that individual was one of a roost of four that they located.

I was only talking about this bird a few days ago and wondered what the end result was. I am pleased it's a happy ending and am grateful for the update. Thank you.

Had another quick look at the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and thought I was seeing double ;);)
Poor quality pic I know

Attachments

• Lscaup.jpg
    Lscaup.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 262
St Mary's this morning, at least 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, Redstart, Blackcap, 2 Great spotted Woodpeckers, a few Chiffchaffs and Goldcrests.

Prestwick Carr this afternoon, male and ring tail Hen Harrier, a single Short-eared Owl and 2 Whinchats.

Attachments

• Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 9.jpg
    Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 9.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 10.jpg
    Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 10.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 6.jpg
    Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 6.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 7.jpg
    Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 7.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Had another quick look at the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and thought I was seeing double ;);)
Poor quality pic I know
Can you and other local lads keep it happy here till Sunday? A few "just across the border" folks will hopefully view this bird then.

Here to be shot down but i'm 75% sure I had a common crane gliding in to land in a field east of the A1 just north of Alnwick today as I headed for lindisfarne - between turns for Denwick and North Charlton.

First thought - grey heron, 2nd thought... looks odd for heron, 3rd thought - a bit big for heron, 4th thought - neck and upper wing pattern not quite right (a bit too brown, dark neck/face with too much black on wings).

I've seen crane before in Northumberland but not in flight, and herons by the thousand and it struck me as oddLike I say - not certain by any means but if anyone is in the area tomorrow it might be worth checking out.

Got some very good views of a short eared owl over the dunes at Seaton Sluice today, a flock of 9 or so swans (mute i reckon) just off shore and a few other bits and bobs that would have been canny to look at if i'd had binoculars and not had the wife and 3 kids with me!

Here to be shot down but i'm 75% sure I had a common crane gliding in to land in a field east of the A1 just north of Alnwick today as I headed for lindisfarne - between turns for Denwick and North Charlton.

First thought - grey heron, 2nd thought... looks odd for heron, 3rd thought - a bit big for heron, 4th thought - neck and upper wing pattern not quite right (a bit too brown, dark neck/face with too much black on wings).

I've seen crane before in Northumberland but not in flight, and herons by the thousand and it struck me as oddLike I say - not certain by any means but if anyone is in the area tomorrow it might be worth checking out.

Hi Paul

Was it flying with it's neck out stretched or tucked in?

Hi Paul

Was it flying with it's neck out stretched or tucked in?

I didn't get the best angle to be honest as it was flying more or less South as I was going North and it was dropping below the level of the bushes by the time we were level and it was adjusting its posture for landing... I know that would have been a clincher if it had outstretched neck in level flight.

The posture didn't quite "feel" right for the heron which was made me look twice in the first instance.

Sunday Dinner

East Chevington track today.

Pity I didn't have time to reset the focus mode. I'd just been trying to photograph a Y B Warbler (unsuccessfully - it went missing) in foliage and didn't have time to reset for a flight shot when I saw this crossing the track.

Attachments

• IMG_5613-copy.jpg
    IMG_5613-copy.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back