• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Swift departure (1 Viewer)

Just one today hawking and fluttering quite low over the garden. Quite a pale individual so maybe a late fledger or youngster just hanging around still.

Not a misoriented juvenile A. pallidus, then? Many are crossing the Strait of Gibraltar at the moment...
MJB

Not a misoriented juvenile A. pallidus, then? Many are crossing the Strait of Gibraltar at the moment...
MJB

Ha! I have a golden rule that if I think I’ve seen a Pallid at the beginning of August in the UK, its probably a juvenile Common unless there’s very good prolonged views to say otherwise!

Still 46 over my neighbourhood in Aberdeen this evening, a similar number to what I was getting a couple of weeks ago. They're still hanging about round here.

quote Andy, today at dawn: None here all day until an evening party of 5 was seen high.

Here in Holland, near the German border, 3 specimens circling very high for a few minutes, then off eastward, 18.00h. Clouded sky, few raindrops which did not even reach the earth. Local showers in the Netherlands, but heat will stay for some days.
Jan van der Brugge

One single Swift, 19.30h local time, low circling and off eastward. Heavy clouds and sunshine, still unpleasantly high temperatures.
Jan van der Brugge

A bit of movement over the Brecks this afternoon (seen by chance when going out to top up feeders and later to clean out birdbath). They seem to be moving behind of a band of rain that’s been moving NE over SE/E England this morning.

All foraging and flying in groups slowly but steadily South

15:00hrs - 4
15:30hrs - 6
15:35hrs - 2

I have in the past had single swift records into the first week of september on one or more occasions in the peak district.

Our local breeders left at the end of July and I saw a few passing birds until 8th August. So a big surprise this evening when, while scanning the mountainside through the ‘scope a group flew into view. They were feeding high up with House Martins in front of the approaching stormy weather, I estimated between 75 and 100 individuals:eek!:

Four, silent birds, drifted South, late afternoon at rooftop height, under the dark, veil of rain and mist we've had here all day, may well be the latest date over my home?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back