• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (1 Viewer)

Had a pair of Spitfires pass through Dundee airport today on their way north to Inverness, one being the Silver Spitfire that flew around the world, the other a two-seater, so popped down for a look and to grab a few photos.

More photos on my Twitter page - www.twitter.com/SFbirding
or on my Flickr page - www.flickr.com/stonefaction
Have never ever seen (nor heard of) a silver spit before. ..... :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

Had a pair of Spitfires pass through Dundee airport today on their way north to Inverness, one being the Silver Spitfire that flew around the world, the other a two-seater, so popped down for a look and to grab a few photos.

More photos on my Twitter page - www.twitter.com/SFbirding
or on my Flickr page - www.flickr.com/stonefaction

Bit of a crosswind judging from pic 3! Very nice. I followed the round-the-world trip at the time, I thought it a strange thing to do (all that over-water stuff on a single eighty-year-old engine!) but fascinating to see the progress.

CJ: There were one or two silver Spits even during WWII, one in Italy is the best known I think.

[/QUOTE]Lovely shots, would be wonderful to have a Mosquito to liven up the mix.

Are there still any airworthy examples operational?[/QUOTE]

Etudiant: there are four on the wrong side of the pond:

In Canada a B35 restored as BIX LR503 (whose mission score was an astonishing 215 but whose end was tragic);

TV959, the TIII that used to hang up in the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth, now flown in intruder colours as NS838, an FBVI of 418 (Canadian) Squadron;

KA114, a Canadian-built FB26 now flown in the colours of a 487 Squadron FBVI as used in the Amiens prison raid;

PZ474, a real FBVI restored as a Banff Strike Wing 143 Squadron coastal strike aircraft.

A "carrier bag of bits" is being used as the basis for a "dataplate restoration" to airworthy status of a Mosquito using the identity of an NF30 RL346, in Britain. This will take several years yet. They are basically setting up a Mosquito airframe production facility just as the New Zealanders who did KA114 and TV959 did.

There are repeated noises about restoring Kermit Weeks's B/TT35 RS712 (ex 3 CAACU and 633 Squadron) to flying status but it needs some serious airframe work. (Which thanks to the NZ and UK teams is not out of the question but will require the lubrication of cash.)

John

Bit of a crosswind judging from pic 3!

Oddly enough John, there was minimal wind - there was a wee bit of doubt as to which direction they'd go off in at one point. I'm not sure what was actually going on - a photo earlier in the sequence has both wheels inches off the ground, but obviously not enough forward speed at that point, or wind over the wings to get it airborne - I suspect there may have been a slight bounce coupled with the torque of the propeller resulting in that slight 'lean' over to one side which I managed to catch inadvertantly. Certainly made the photo a bit more interesting than if both wheels had been on the ground and it was a bog-standard side-on shot.

Bit of a crosswind judging from pic 3! Very nice. I followed the round-the-world trip at the time, I thought it a strange thing to do (all that over-water stuff on a single eighty-year-old engine!) but fascinating to see the progress.

CJ: There were one or two silver Spits even during WWII, one in Italy is the best known I think.
Lovely shots, would be wonderful to have a Mosquito to liven up the mix.

Are there still any airworthy examples operational?[/QUOTE]

Etudiant: there are four on the wrong side of the pond:

In Canada a B35 restored as BIX LR503 (whose mission score was an astonishing 215 but whose end was tragic);

TV959, the TIII that used to hang up in the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth, now flown in intruder colours as NS838, an FBVI of 418 (Canadian) Squadron;

KA114, a Canadian-built FB26 now flown in the colours of a 487 Squadron FBVI as used in the Amiens prison raid;

PZ474, a real FBVI restored as a Banff Strike Wing 143 Squadron coastal strike aircraft.

A "carrier bag of bits" is being used as the basis for a "dataplate restoration" to airworthy status of a Mosquito using the identity of an NF30 RL346, in Britain. This will take several years yet. They are basically setting up a Mosquito airframe production facility just as the New Zealanders who did KA114 and TV959 did.

There are repeated noises about restoring Kermit Weeks's B/TT35 RS712 (ex 3 CAACU and 633 Squadron) to flying status but it needs some serious airframe work. (Which thanks to the NZ and UK teams is not out of the question but will require the lubrication of cash.)

John[/QUOTE]

Never seen one in the flesh, other than in museums.
Lancasters yes, plenty were built in Canada. But don't mention the Arrow.

Is it even possible?..

Very stupid and very dangerous anyway.

Anyone flying around in a jetpack over any sort of urban area would surely draw attention from the public below (I would have thought) - assuming it is even possible. There would then, doubtless, be posts on social media about it - I've no idea whether there is/has been, as I haven't looked on Twitter (and am not on Facebook). You would then think that those reporting the sightings by pilots would also search social media for corroboration from the ground and report that too. Odd that doesn't seem to have happened.

Other slim possibilities - could it be a shaped (and weighted) 'balloon' or a 'cardboard cut-out' carried to height by a drone rather than what it appeared to be?

Anyone flying around in a jetpack over any sort of urban area would surely draw attention from the public below (

Other slim possibilities - could it be a shaped (and weighted) 'balloon' or a 'cardboard cut-out' carried to height by a drone rather than what it appeared to be?

A shaped balloon is the most plausible explanation imho, simply because jetpacks are still primitive. They have very limited endurance and the very few capable of taking off from the ground are quite expensive.
Jetpack cruising around at 3000 feet in a busy landing pattern would require both wealth as well as epic stupidity. A balloon is much more affordable for someone at that intellectual level.

A shaped balloon is the most plausible explanation imho, simply because jetpacks are still primitive. They have very limited endurance and the very few capable of taking off from the ground are quite expensive.
Jetpack cruising around at 3000 feet in a busy landing pattern would require both wealth as well as epic stupidity. A balloon is much more affordable for someone at that intellectual level.

I do hope this isn't down to my daughter, losing her birthday Peppa Pig balloon!

Managed to catch some of the USMC F-35Bs inbound to Marham, as they passed over Dundee earlier. I always seem to manage to miss any F-22s, but always seem to manage to catch F-35s (previously managed 2 lots of USAF and a pair of Italian AF - yet to see an RAF one).

Attachments

• 50302574327_a53d927696_c.jpg
    50302574327_a53d927696_c.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 50302421706_eee391ffec_c.jpg
    50302421706_eee391ffec_c.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 50301732203_3fc4a8ab63_c.jpg
    50301732203_3fc4a8ab63_c.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
Just seen this thread!
I was in the RAF for 9 years then worked in civil aviation for a while then back on military in Saudi Arabia for 4 years. Managed to combine interests a few times when working in Cyprus, Norway, Iceland and the Falklands. Most stations have good birding areas nearby. Leuchars, where I spent most of my time, has the Eden Estuary just 10 minutes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back