• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Sketchbooks (1 Viewer)

Have to say, the Black Stork is simply outstanding. The way the iridescence has been hanled on the neck, breast, mantle, scapulars and wing covert's is a joy to behold. Looks so simple because it is so well done.

...I know better, that is a difficult application to get so right. Lovely work...

buzzard12 said:
Have to say, the Black Stork is simply outstanding. The way the iridescence has been hanled on the neck, breast, mantle, scapulars and wing covert's is a joy to behold. Looks so simple because it is so well done.

...I know better, that is a difficult application to get so right. Lovely work...
Thank you buzzard, thanks Dave!
That's of course no rude question Tim!
Actually I'm not an exhibition artist, because of lack of time to prepare the required pictures. I'm trying to participate yearly in an exhibition in Netherlands "Wild in de Natuur", and work consequently for my comissions.
Last year is published a European bird guide, with my own Illustrations
titled: "Was Fliegt denn da?"-What's flying there?
( unfortunately only in German, available also by Amazon), and a monography
on Waders is in preparation.
At the moment I haven't time to be present also in Britain, maybe in future sometime, I hope...
Few years ago as a participant at "Bird Illustrator of the Year", I was privileged to see my pictures on the cover of British Birds magazine.
Attached few more pictures and a selection of Weblinks were my artwork could be seen. A personal website is also in preparation.
http://www.birdingart.com/birdingart_154.htm
http://www.kunsthuisvanhetoosten.nl/wld03artists/dougalis-03.html
http://dougalis-wildlifeart.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Amsel.jpg
    Amsel.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Amsel.jpg6.jpg
    Amsel.jpg6.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Moorente.jpg
    Moorente.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Lachmoewe-Stockente.jpg
    Lachmoewe-Stockente.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Waldohreule.jpg
    Waldohreule.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 158
Ahhh Spizaetos - (PD) - I thought your work looked familiar, I have BirdingArt.com on my favourites list!
Wonderful mixture of realism combined with a painterly approach - terrific stuff and you're sure to go a very long way.
Good lad!

Dave B said:
I'm not saying that everyone can draw like Lars Jonsson if they only practice hard enough, but rather that even Lars Jonsson had to start somewhere.

My advice to anyone who wishes they could draw would be, "Then draw!" And the 'secret' is to keep doing it as often and as much as possible.

I remember hearing a story of Picasso who, late in life, was asked to do a quick drawing on a TV chat show. When he had finished, the interviewer asked him if he didn't feel a little embarrassed that he could sell for thousands of dollars something that had taken him 30 seconds to do. Picasso's response: "30 seconds? It took me 80 years to draw that!"

Spizaetos' fantastic paintings will, I hope, inspire many more aspiring artists to pick up a pencil and sketchpad and get/keep on sketching!

Cheers

Dave

I'll get mine out of the bin and have another go.

Attached this time the promissed half-completed sketches...
and one more explanation about my BF name.
Spizaetos is the common Greek name for Bonelli's eagle..

Spizaetos

Attachments

• Amsel.jpg4.jpg
    Amsel.jpg4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2697.JPG
    DSCN2697.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2705.JPG
    DSCN2705.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 139
  • Lachmöwe.jpg1.jpg
    Lachmöwe.jpg1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Mäuserbussard kopf.jpg
    Mäuserbussard kopf.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back