• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Fieldfare at Inch Lake

Managed a couple of record shots of a Fieldfare

Attachments

• Fieldfare-web.jpg
    Fieldfare-web.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 349
Brent at Magheragallon

The Brent have returned to Magheragallon, Derrybeg.

Saw a group of 6 and one stragler then later this afternoon 20+

Here are 2 photos.

richard

Attachments

• Magheragallon-BrentW.jpg
    Magheragallon-BrentW.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 296
  • Magheragallon-Brent2W.jpg
    Magheragallon-Brent2W.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Sightings at Sheskinmore Nature Reserve at Hallowe'en 2008 are in attached Microsoft Word file.

Snow bunting were highlight. 3 species of geese. Red throated diver, eider. Buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk, raven, chough.

EDIT: "red-throated" divers made short screaming calls but Collins guide says they're silent in winter. Now not so sure of identification! My excuse is I didn't have a scope!

Attachments

• Species.doc
    136 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
A weekend in Donegal produced some interesting sightings.

31 Pinkfooted Geese and 3 Greenland Whitefronts in fields at Bridgend near Inch Lake.

At Inch Lake 5 Ruff, 1 Twite, 500 Golden Plover, 2Black Swan plus the usual assortment of ducks etc.

1 Barnacle, 1 Pinkfoot and 785 Greenland Whitefronts at Big Isle near Letterkenny.

1 Eclipse male Ring Necked Duck at Lough Fern, probably the bird seen earlier at Inch Lake.

Killybegs. 1 1stwinter Iceland Gull and a 1st winter Glaucous x Herring hybrid.

Mervagh beach 1 male Velvet Scoter, 598 Common Scoter and 2 Long Tailed Duck.

Furnesh Lake, Rossknowlagh immature Long Tailed Duck

Rossknowlagh Bay.145 Common Scoter, 15 Great Northern and 25 Red Throated Divers.

Derek

Hi Stephen,

I also heard Red-throated Divers calling recently, off Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow.
Probably just a bit of post-breeding behaviour of some sort.

They'll start getting more vocal in late winter/early spring before they head off to breed again.

See ya,
Niall

Niall and Stephen,
Due to the flat calm windless day yesterday you could hear the Common Scoters constantly calling to each other at Mervagh. In a flock that size they make some noise!

Derek

Great spotting Stephen,
We don't get a list like that at Derrybeg!
Good weather definately helped. My highest tally ever at hallowe'en.

785 Greenland Whitefronts
598 Common Scoter
Wow! Would love to see that many gwfs!

Hi Stephen,
I also heard Red-throated Divers calling recently, off Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow.
Probably just a bit of post-breeding behaviour of some sort.
They certainly looked most like red-throats, didn't look bulky enough to be great northern and quite a lot of white on throat and neck for black-throated. When I read that in Collins I thought I'd maybe got the scale a bit wrong cos they were out on the open water with no other birds around and like I say I'd no scope. There were also 2 large divers off Tramore on 2nd November that were most likely great northern. Anyway no more excuses!

Sightings at Sheskinmore Nature Reserve at Hallowe'en 2008 are in attached Microsoft Word file.

Snow bunting were highlight. 3 species of geese. Red throated diver, eider. Buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk, raven, chough.

EDIT: "red-throated" divers made short screaming calls but Collins guide says they're silent in winter. Now not so sure of identification! My excuse is I didn't have a scope!
It was a great report,we always park at mcglincheys house and walk to
ballinreavey strand.Though it is a long walk with a scope,never seen a snow bunting before.We are dead jealous.
adrian

Inch Lake

Took a wintery walk to Inch Lake this afternoon. Initially not much to see but after a halstorm and a clap of thunder large numbers of Canada Geese, Whoopers and Greylag flew in. As I was testing out a new camera lens I got some photos of the action. Excuse picture quality as the light was very poor.

Richard

Attachments

• Geese3-web.jpg
    Geese3-web.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 300
Inch Lake Sunday 16th

Not huge numbers of birds at the lake today. Whoopers, Greylag, Pink foot?, Teal, Mallard, Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Wigeon, Lapwing.

Today's treat was distant views of an Otter fishing. I managed a few photos but they need a bit of treatment due to the distance and less than perfect light.

Richard

Attachments

• Goldfinch1.jpg
    Goldfinch1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Robin1.jpg
    Robin1.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 286
Thanks Adrian,
Th Otters at Inch Lake seem fairly regular so I'm hopeful of a few photos over the Christmas break. Bought a paparazzi lens so am hoping for some decent light and some willing subjects!

Richard

Christmas Theme

Was out for a walk this morning at Inch Lake. Spent the short time I had there in the good company of Inishowen Wildlife Club members and taking a few photos in the super light conditions.

Here is one on the Christmas theme.

Attachments

• Christmas-Robin-web.jpg
    Christmas-Robin-web.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 265
More photos from Inch

A couple of photos taken this weekend at Inch Lake, Co. Donegal

Attachments

• Whooper-web.jpg
    Whooper-web.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Linnet-web.jpg
    Linnet-web.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 286
At Mountcharles on Saturday there was one BT Diver as well as 11 LT Duck ten of which were males. Probably around 20 GNDiver but numbers of divers in general were well down on my last two visits. Seamus counted 1400 Common Scoters off Mervagh which was certainly the most i have ever seen off there.
There was a nice flock of 400 Barnacles near Kilcar about five miles west of Killybegs. At Killybegs there was three Iceland and 3 Glaucous Gulls plus the usual assortment of hybrids and odd looking gulls!

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back