• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Skua species, Hokkaido Japan? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I saw this skua pursuing the Common Terns which pass through at this time of year. It came close enough inshore for me to fire off some record shots, these are very heavy crops.

The same 3 smaller species one sees in Europe/North America (Pomarine, Arctic and Long tailed) occur in the north Pacific too.

It's an Arctic right? It looks too small for a Pomarine but not dainty enough for a Long Tailed.

I'm crap at skua ID, any help confirming this ID would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• _MG_8587.JPG
    _MG_8587.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 180
  • _MG_8577.JPG
    _MG_8577.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 162
  • _MG_8569.JPG
    _MG_8569.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 150
Stu, this bird looks to have all the jizz and plumage characters of a Long-tailed; blunt tipped central tail feathers, bill 50:50 grey and black(ish), undertail coverts barred evenly black and white, pale primary shafts on only outer 2, slender shape, etc.

Stu, this bird looks to have all the jizz and plumage characters of a Long-tailed; blunt tipped central tail feathers, bill 50:50 grey and black(ish), undertail coverts barred evenly black and white, pale primary shafts on only outer 2, slender shape, etc.

Hi Eugene, thanks for the reply..........actually when I saw it I thought Long Tailed but when I looked on the PC I thought Arctic...............

Long Tailed would be a lifer.

Hi Stu

Well your right in it definitely not being a Pom.

I can see where you got Arctic from as it doesn't look overly dainty, but barred undertail , barred axillaries and only 2 white outer primaries, as well as the pale nape and blunt-tipped tail all say Long-tailed.

Cracking shots!!

Wish the dark-phase juvvy I saw recently came that close!!

Sean

Thanks Sean, a nice find then!

Yes very nice. Not sure I ever saw a land-based Long-tailed in Japan, but had several from ferries :).

Made me revisit some juvvy skuas I've photographed.

The dual coloured bill I think is a bit of a misleading ID feature as I've seen it on Pom & Arctic too.

Cheers

Sean

This particular bird had me perplexed at first, two years ago at my local patch, showing Arctic & Long-tailed aren't always easy even relatively close-up.

See what you think :).

Sean

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 100
I'm thinking 2 CYR Arctic on this bird. It seems to tick quite a few of my ID boxes. But I could be right, or wrong...;)

ps Am referring to 2nd series of photos. I agree the 1st bird is a juv LTS...

Last edited:
It confirms what I hinted at in my original post...........all skuas look the same.

Exactly Stu :). Phil your right tos indeed an Arctic Skua, just wanted to show theycan have slim bicolored bill and barring on undertail and axillaries but never as pronounced as LT Skua, as well as little white in primaries.. but still lots of other subtle differences from LT Skua.

Cheers

Sean :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back