• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

Post 4315 (Warwickbirds Yahoo)

1 Disseminate Disinformation (Dissemination!! Scatter as seed;Spread abroad; Spread all through an organ or through the whole body!! Disinformation! Obviously a more updated version of the English Dictionary than what I have?)

Taxi for Hutton....................B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

Does anybody check the Coventry Canal for dragon/damselflies? Carl Baggott and I keep an eye on a section of the Ashby Canal (which connects to the Coventry Canal at Marston Junction) and one day last June we counted over 400 White-legged Damselflies between Stoke Golding and Ambion Wood. Other species are in much smaller numbers with the next highest count being 18 Banded Demoiselles but there's always an outside chance of something like a Hairy Dragonfly to keep us trying!

There were several White-legged Damselflies last Sunday, though not up to the 400+ of last year, along the Ashby Canal near Dadlington. Quite a few were newly-emerged so they're probably a shade later than last year - a sunny day this weekend might prove fruitful. There's quite a section of this canal in Warwickshire from its junction with the Coventry Canal near Bed'orth to the county border on the A5, plus the Coventry Canal itself to check out.

Another vote for Rutland - it's a great place. Plan the day though, so you get to visit both the Lyndon and Egleton sides, as both have a great deal to offer. Just wear decent boots, as the paths on the Lyndon side always seem to be muddy!

Oh, and many happy returns Dave :t: Hope you get hammered later :-O

Rutland water seems to be the place to be! Im gonna head up soon but have to confess have never been before. Anyone got any tips on which bit to go to? Wheres the best place to see the Ospreys (dont say on the TV nest cam either!).

Cheers
Gareth

Post 4315 (Warwickbirds Yahoo)

That message (available here) was my response to a claim you had made, in November 2007, about the actions of the moderators of that list, which was wholly untrue. I replied by saying, (quoted in full):

As one of the moderators of this list, I can state categorically that that isn't the case.

Kindly refrain from disseminating such disinformation.

Thank you.
I fail to see how a polite request that you desist from posting falsehoods was "intolerant".

Just back from a few days at Minsmere.Went to Dunwich Heath on Monday morning for the Thrush Nightingale to be greeted with "It's gone mate flew off in the night".I'm getting good at dipping.

Took loads of pics hope I've got some decent ones but failed again to get a pic of a Bittern on the ground.Nearly made it as I missed one that had been feeding in the open in front of the Island Mere Hide by 5 mins (the photographers who had been there were happy to show me the shots they got - don't you love it when that happens.

Pete : Nice Owl pic and good luck with the hide.

Steve : Have now looked at your new blogspot.It's very good.

Max.

Rutland water seems to be the place to be! Im gonna head up soon but have to confess have never been before. Anyone got any tips on which bit to go to? Wheres the best place to see the Ospreys (dont say on the TV nest cam either!).

Cheers
Gareth

Hi Gareth, last year there were a pair of Ospreys nesting in Manton Bay. They have nested again, but sadly the eggs havn't hatched. The Osprey nest is on a post right in front of the Waderscrape Hide at the Lyndon Hill NR. There are another pair of Ospreys at Lyndon (nest site is kept secret) who have fledged young.

The other reserve; the Anglian Birdwatching Centre at Egleton is also excellent.

Rutland Osprey News - http://www.ospreys.org.uk/
Leics/Rutland latest sightings - http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm

I'm hoping to get there on Sunday myself :king:

Took Dave to Cannock Chase today for his Birthday, someone has to keep him out of the Pub B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :). Saw a few Redstarts in the rain, also Tree Pipits but no sign of the Pied Flys.
Dave you can go down the pub now mate, have a good one.:t:

Attachments

• Red-097B.jpg
    Red-097B.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 60
Grasshopper Warb still @ Marsh Lane if anyone is interested, although its now on the far side of car park pool.

With no birds around thought id turn my attention to dragonfly's for a bit

021.555.jpg 024.555.jpg 036.2555.jpg

Nice dragonfly shots Lee.

I'm a bit bored at the moment so I've set another quiz.I know I won't beat the ID kings but can you ID them all (It's not the Whitethroat itself but what it's caught).

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_8953 (Large).jpg
    IMG_8953 (Large).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8973.jpg
    IMG_8973.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8862.JPG
    IMG_8862.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back