• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Value (1 Viewer)

dries1

In the last few years I have looked at low priced binoculars in the 8X format and have found that if one is looking to spend the lowest amount of $$ these two come to mind.
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 ($135) and the Fujinon KF 8X32 (as low as $60.00/ can be found for about $130.00 ( also made in the Philippines under other names as Kenko, Sightron Blue sky and a couple of others).
To me they represent the best value in 8X42 and 8X32. Now at this price point there will be sample variation - the Bushnell Legend M (focus wheel) but I finally got a good one. The KF 8X32, I bought three, (a couple for family members) and all three were good out of the box.

What others are there?

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF2344.jpg
    DSCF2344.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF3401.jpg
    DSCF3401.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 54
In the last few years I have looked at low priced binoculars in the 8X format and have found that if one is looking to spend the lowest amount of $$ these two come to mind.
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 ($135) and the Fujinon KF 8X32 (as low as $60.00/ can be found for about $130.00 ( also made in the Philippines under other names as Kenko, Sightron Blue sky and a couple of others).
To me they represent the best value in 8X42 and 8X32. Now at this price point there will be sample variation - the Bushnell Legend M (focus wheel) but I finally got a good one. The KF 8X32, I bought three, (a couple for family members) and all three were good out of the box.

What others are there?

Andy W.
I think the porro's are the "Value King's" IMO. The Nikon 8x30 EII porro for $450.00 and especially the Swarovski Habicht porro's for $700.00 are equal optically to the $2K alpha roof's and in many ways superior to them. The porro's have higher light transmission the Habicht's reaching almost 96% and a better 3D image and they are also lighter because there is less glass needed in them. For example, the Habicht 10x40 only weighs 23 oz.. Show me a 40mm roof that is that light. MUCH better build quality than the inexpensive MIC roof's IMO also.

Great topic for gifting binos Andy. What are the best low cost poros these days? Does the newer 6x Yosemite fall in this category?
I gave my daughters those when they were too young but they are still going strong.
Dave

I'm also looking for inexpensive binos -but for myself- somewhere in the $150-$250 range. I've had and gotten rid of, a few really cheap binos; I do have a pair that belonged to an uncle who was in the Merchant Marine in the 1940s & 50s - 12 x 70, I think? - that must weigh at least 5 lbs. I don't even want to hold them long enough to set the focus!
So currently, my only pair are Bushnell 7x35. Fine for birds in the yard, but very limited. I'm looking at the Wingspan Skyview Ultra HD - 8X42 (I'd never heard of this brand before - but found it's a rebranding of Polaris). The biggest draw is a lifetime warranty - might not have to be too long as I'm now 78, but I'd like to think the company would outlive me! Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Their 'mission statement' is to produce good birding glasses. They are only $150, so it wouldn't be a great loss if I decide I don't like them. The 8x32's are about $110...
Most of my use would be on my own 6 acres in rural So. Calif., but I do some traveling. I have a camping week set for mid-Sept. at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Yellowstone, & Glacier parks next year as well as a trip to Maui. I don't spend a whole day hiking anymore, but I need something lightweight and reliable. I'm a long-time Nikon camera owner - so their products are on my radar, as well.

Hi Andy,
Good to know that the FK 8x32s check out. I've always wondered why Fujinon never plunged into the high-end roof prism market like Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, etc. They certainly are capable of turning out exceptional products.
(That said, I had a pair of Fujinon 4000 roofers once and was completely unimpressed).
~ Jack

Jack,

I think the Sightron 8X32 or the Fujinon KF 8X32 are for the money the best buy out there, at least in 8X32.
I tried the Fujinon large roofs in 12X60, 15X60 and I was impressed with the optics, but everything else eyecups, focus, and diopter was dismal.
They make some great IF porros though.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back