• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song from Italy (1 Viewer)

pabz

Wondering if anyone recognises this song from Italy heard this morning. Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• Voice 005.m4a
    282 KB · Views: 62
It was in woodland with dense undergrowth. My friend who asked about it said he was got very close to where it was calling and still couldn't see it.

A friend of mine recorded it this morning in fabriano and sent me the recording via whatsapp. My first thought was Common Bulbul but they don't occur in Italy and the quality of the note doesn't quite match

It actually IS a Leiothrix call...!

Red-billed Leiothrix is considered naturalized in Italy and included in our national checklist since many years, mostly in Toscana, Veneto and Liguria but currently spreading...

This record does not surprise me much: where is present, this species is actually pretty bold and easy to be seen and, especially, heard, often in little flocks!

Ciao, Igor

Common Bulbul has only just bred for the first time on the European mainland at Tarifa, Gibraltar, in the last few years and considering how near they breed, about 8 miles away at Tangier it shows how sedentary the species is.

I only mention it because it is nice to be aware of the breeding status of species when considering calling birds;) Actually i did not know there were a coupla pairs breeding around the town ramparts at Tarifa and scratched my head because i knew it was Common Bulbul as i was familiar with them in Morocco then a singing bird appeared and the rest as they say.....

I don’t know what the current nuumbers are but i should imagine an annual increase.

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back