• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendations (1 Viewer)

acuria, post 58,
Yes the 8x32 or 7x42 (depended on the safari trip) was shared with two people. On one safari trip I took an 8x56, also nice but a little heavy, and that was shared at a waterhole in twilight with quite a few people, since so many animals came for a drink.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi aCuria,
congratulations to an alpha bin as first pair - that's the cheap way to get the best view... takes others many years, pairs and a lot more money to get there ;-)

<snip>

As I have written earlier in this thread, sharing bins is not really practical - if you can agree with your partner that one gets to use the bins for a few hours while the other uses the telephoto lens on the camera, switching every few hours or day, that's fine.

Thanks Joachim,

I tend to suffer from "upgradeitis"... Its probably "safer" in the long run this way haha

im wondering what makes the most sense for a 2nd bin... probably something not to expensive (though ignoring cost the zeiss pocket or 8x30cl probably makes the most sense)

im wondering what makes the most sense for a 2nd bin... probably something not to expensive (though ignoring cost the zeiss pocket or 8x30cl probably makes the most sense)

Pocket everyday-carry binoculars (mine are now the Zeiss 8x25, for others those might be the Leica Ultravid 8x20 or even a monocular)

Stabilized binoculars

Large aperture astronomy binoculars

Spotting scopes

fazalmajid, it's interesting that Selfridges sounds a good place to try them out.

I'm very late to this one - my apologies - but I live not far from Selfridges and although it has a decent selection the basement of Selfridges (if the optics section is still there) is just about the worst place to try optics I have ever been. Distances are much shorter than out in the field, and the place is filled with mirrors and bright unnatural light - both unpleasant to look through and completely unlike field conditions.

They should open up a space on the roof to let prospective buyers look out over the city rooftops in typical English light (often dreary, but thanks to the heatwave it has been brilliantly bright for over two months!) and point their binoculars at fast-moving targets like the goldfinches and rose-ringed parakeets that often fly by.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back