• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK bird (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Hi can anybody help me ID this bird which was photographed on farmland near Marshfield Bristol
many thanks

Attachments

• 4827C79E-A092-4F4F-9781-E7E4B7648DDD.jpg
    4827C79E-A092-4F4F-9781-E7E4B7648DDD.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DEC23C40-BD68-4848-9877-2997ACF6AFF2.jpg
    DEC23C40-BD68-4848-9877-2997ACF6AFF2.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 53300B80-10B5-440C-8439-4E89324AF2F7.jpeg
    53300B80-10B5-440C-8439-4E89324AF2F7.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 113
  • AE9D5F36-D567-4AE6-B91B-22F4F7BC2A01.jpeg
    AE9D5F36-D567-4AE6-B91B-22F4F7BC2A01.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 80
  • FAAD1069-7D72-4221-823F-E1FD7BE179CC.jpeg
    FAAD1069-7D72-4221-823F-E1FD7BE179CC.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 58
Been there and done that ;)

Had House Sparrows in trees, by rivers, in reed beds, in the countryside miles from any houses, in sand dunes, by lakes - is there nowhere this bird doesn't get ha ha

I was lucky enough to have a holiday of a lifetime in New Zealand earlier this year....25 hours on planes, 12,000 miles and what do I see???

A sparrow (British variety) introduced by Europeans in 1860's

Attachments

• Aukland Sparrow.jpg
    Aukland Sparrow.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
Interesting - that New Zealand sparrow looks distinctly "odd" for a (British) House Sp to me! Very clear white cheek, patchy bib, white above the eye, and that sharp dividing line between grey and chestnut on the head... makes me wonder if there might have been some Spanish or Italian Sparrows among the founder population?

Been there and done that ;)

Had House Sparrows in trees, by rivers, in reed beds, in the countryside miles from any houses, in sand dunes, by lakes - is there nowhere this bird doesn't get ha ha
Their numbers in recent times had a bit of a wobble but They,ve come back some what perhaps it was just more regional to where you lived that they were not seen so much, new builds or house,s don,t give the Sparrows the opportunitys they had before to nest in but they can adapt, I remember many years ago them building nests together in bushes alongside a zoo Either dudley or twycross but its the only time I,ve seen them do that but know doubt they,ll find other places to go, but again the habitat has had a effect on their numbers because how the land practices have changed somewhat, I missed the house sparrow when they were not around like they used To be pleased their back again here.

I was lucky enough to have a holiday of a lifetime in New Zealand earlier this year....25 hours on planes, 12,000 miles and what do I see???

Ha ha - that's priceless!

Their numbers in recent times had a bit of a wobble but They,ve come back some what perhaps it was just more regional to where you lived that they were not seen so much, new builds or house,s don,t give the Sparrows the opportunitys they had before to nest in but they can adapt, I remember many years ago them building nests together in bushes alongside a zoo Either dudley or twycross but its the only time I,ve seen them do that but know doubt they,ll find other places to go, but again the habitat has had a effect on their numbers because how the land practices have changed somewhat, I missed the house sparrow when they were not around like they used To be pleased their back again here.

Here in Liverpool they took a nose-dive throughout the late 80s to late 2000s, but now they're mostly everywhere. True, they're not everywhere here, but much much more than they used to be.

Magpies, Goldfinches and Carrion Crows seem to be the most common birds now alongside the House Sparrow.

Exactly what happened to me !!

This year (which can't really compete time wise but)

Manchester - London
London - Denver
Denver airport to car hire "village", first bird I hear/see - House Sparrow.
The cheeky little blighters are everywhere

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back