• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

"Alan - these are just amazing, man. Some of the best drawings I've ever seen."

This was posted in this thread,by another member, about a year ago....I agree..

Beautiful job on the Pygmy Owl! We were fortunate to have one of these guys show up in our yard a couple years back.

In dire need of new brushes, anybody recomend some reasonably priced makes before I raid the art suppliers..??[/QUOTE]

Well if nobody else has any suggestions, I use Pro Arte Acrylix for acrylic work, especially their riggers. Seem to last a good while before the point gets a bit harsh (ie I'm still using ones I bought in '96!). Mind you, that's not surprising as I've done so little painting lately.

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

In dire need of new brushes, anybody recomend some reasonably priced makes before I raid the art suppliers..??

Well if nobody else has any suggestions, I use Pro Arte Acrylix for acrylic work, especially their riggers. Seem to last a good while before the point gets a bit harsh (ie I'm still using ones I bought in '96!). Mind you, that's not surprising as I've done so little painting lately.

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk[/QUOTE]

Many thanks Michael,

Have ordered a few online, will try them out...

Spring is here now and I had a trip to Tyresta National Park a few days ago, nice to find new arrivals already getting ready to breed. A samll marsh in the park called Ovre Kärret was full of birds including these two Great Crested Grebes which were busy displaying...always great to watch. No weed dance on this occasion, though a lot of head shaking going on..

Attachments

• GCG1.jpg
    GCG1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 27
  • GCG2.jpg
    GCG2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 36
  • GCG3.jpg
    GCG3.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 28
  • GC Grebe headshake.jpg
    GC Grebe headshake.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 31

Attachments

• Crane Calling.jpg
    Crane Calling.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 38
  • Crane Preening.jpg
    Crane Preening.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Yellowhammer.jpg
    Yellowhammer.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Yellowhammer singing.jpg
    Yellowhammer singing.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 52
What a fantastic series of filedsketches Alan!
I love in particular the Great crested Grebes as well the singing Yellowhammer..

Paschalis

fabulous work, said it before and I'll say it again, how you see these shapes is beyond me, but you do, and long may it continue. Hoping one day I'll see them too

More excellent field sketches!
Great to see someone tackling GCG's, Alan, I sketch lots of these but I can never capture their elegance as well as this.
Superbly done Yellowhammer, too. The singing pose is spot-on!

Splendid!

Russ

A real treat today at a small wetland not to far fron the city centre here in Stockholm, a pair of Garganey. A very early date here, only a few male reported locally so far, as far as I know very early for a female and perhaps the first in Uppland this year. They didnt do a lot, though very nice subjects to draw. Started with biro, switched to pencil for quicker blocking in of solid darks. This must be one of the most drawn species on this forum I reckon..

Male bird here..

Attachments

• Garganey male biro.jpg
    Garganey male biro.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Garganey male pencil.jpg
    Garganey male pencil.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Graganey male pencil 1.jpg
    Graganey male pencil 1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 35
Female here, also a male Reed Bunting, also newly returned, very much a summer visitor here and an early spring migrant...living in Scandinavia dramatically changes ones perspective on which species are migrant..

Attachments

• Garganey female pencil.jpg
    Garganey female pencil.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Garganey female preening pencil.jpg
    Garganey female preening pencil.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Reed bunt pencil.jpg
    Reed bunt pencil.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 37
While its fresh, I thought I'd draw this scene out on panel. Rudimentary use of largish flat brush, blocked it in very quickly. Garganey pair from a few hours ago with Little Grebe and Gadwall pair courting in background..want to do this one quite directly without overpainting the scene..

Attachments

• Blocked in.jpg
    Blocked in.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back