• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

24 hrs in Singapore this weekend - where to go? (1 Viewer)

I thought I would attach this question to this post rather than starting an entirely new thread...

Could anyone provide some pointers on Crimson Sunbird localities and habits - in Singapore specifically would be great, but general observations from other locations would also be very welcome. I did see the species twice, once by chance in treetops near the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (a somewhat odd location I thought but I did see the yellow rump) and once where it should be, in the orchid area of the Botanic Gardens, but my brother is there now and has tried the Botanic Gardens a few times for no result. Are they more active at any particular time of the day, do they tend to stay higher in the trees than the much more ubiquitous olive-backed sunbird, do they prefer more forested areas and are any particular flowers preferred etc? I've googled up some videos of both species calling so should be able to tell the two apart if they call.

Many thanks in advance,
patudo

Could anyone provide some pointers on Crimson Sunbird localities and habits - in Singapore specifically would be great, but general observations from other locations would also be very welcome. I did see the species twice, once by chance in treetops near the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (a somewhat odd location I thought but I did see the yellow rump) and once where it should be, in the orchid area of the Botanic Gardens, but my brother is there now and has tried the Botanic Gardens a few times for no result. Are they more active at any particular time of the day, do they tend to stay higher in the trees than the much more ubiquitous olive-backed sunbird, do they prefer more forested areas and are any particular flowers preferred etc? I've googled up some videos of both species calling so should be able to tell the two apart if they call.

Hi Patudo,

They are pretty common in any forest or the more well wooded parks. Your best bet for excellent views is the Heliconia walk in the Botanic Gardens - if you wait awhile should have no problem getting eye level views of them.

Will you be there alone or with your family? Because if you are going with your family, there are plenty of fun tourist places in Singapore for kids . You and your family can spend your day exploring Sentosa Island or enjoy a nice picnic in the Singapore Zoo or Jurong bird park. If you are a solo traveller, you can spend your 24 hours by either exploring the main city, visit Garden by the Bay or enjoy the various fun activities lined up in the Universal Studios.

Hope you have an amazing time in Singapore!|:D||:D|

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back