• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows etc in uk 2020 (1 Viewer)

I've been expecting the Martins and Swallows back for the past week but still no sign of them here in Wrexham. Going on past years, they're due any time now. With this lock down in place I've not been to any of the local lakes, which is generally where I spot my first of the year.

My first Swallow was the day before yesterday, I had a couple yesterday and today there has been a constant trickle of individuals, all heading North and all at treetop height where there are quite a lot of insects visible even through my bins. Not one has turned left, right or back for a second.

John

When walking around our village I always see the first Swallows on some telegraph wires near our little railway station but no sign of them yet. Co-incidentally, I visit Bridlington on the East coast regularly and there were always Sand Martins flying in and out of their burrows around this time but last year there wasn't one. Obviously I can't go and check this year because of the lockdown but I find it really disconcerting that there wasn't a single bird there last year - a depletion in numbers would have been acceptable, given the current situation for all types of birds but to not see any at all is quite scary and sad.

Last edited:
Saw three Sand Martins on Nafferton Mere three days ago. Don't know why they are there though - no sand or suitable burrowing medium. Perhaps they are settled somewhere else nearby and just came for the copious amount of flies!

Hi Chris, I live near Maidstone. Swallows have always arrived in early April to nest in our stables for the last 20 odd years. This year? None! And the sky over local fields always alive with them thereafter but not one in the sky yet. It would be interesting to hear from an authoritative voice on the subject since I am very amateur....but concerned enough this year to have sought out and joined Birdforum. Could it have been the prevailing North Easterly during March/April??

Hi JimmyO,

We all like to think it's the wind or the weather that's preventing migratory birds from returning but I'm afraid it's US - humans! We are responsible for the lack of normal behaviour in all wildlife - our habits are destroying nature and we can't face up to it - we blame the weather instead! I've had Tree Sparrows one year and Blue-tits for seven years in a row in my garden nest box but nothing at all this year. By this time they would be on their second brood. Don't forget, the weather has been unseasonably good so far so all the usual migrants should be on time if not ahead of time. Like you, I know practically nothing substantial about birds and their habits - I'm more of an interested identifier! If the Swallows aren't here yet, what will happen to the Swifts, who are not long behind. Their screaming is truly the start of summer and a sound I always look forward to - I hope I hear it again soon along with the bubbling twitter of the Swallows.

They're here at last! Saw two on the telegraph wires near Nafferton railway station - the place I always first see them. Just waiting for the scream of the Swifts now and summer will truly be here.

Very few Swallows here around Alnwick, Northumberland this year :-C I had 3 flying around Alnwick Castle on 14th April then no more (assume the three I saw were just passing through) until I saw another couple over the castle on 26th. But even since then there's only single figures dotted about :-C
Swifts arrived back on May 6th (2019 = 13th) but even in the 'hotspot' for them around St Paul's Church they're still only in single figures.
House Martins = zilch!

We have several pairs nesting on site where I work but have suddenly disappeared not seen a single bird for a few days very strange anybody's else noticed Swallows going missing

We have several pairs nesting on site where I work but have suddenly disappeared not seen a single bird for a few days very strange anybody's else noticed Swallows going missing

I'd assume this is because of the much colder weather (pretty much like winter here in Aberdeen at the moment). In these conditions early in the season I think hirundines and Swifts will tend to gather at water bodies where feeding is still possible until the weather improves.

Hi Everyone and esp Chris

Hi Chris, I live near Maidstone. Swallows have always arrived in early April to nest in our stables for the last 20 odd years. This year? None! And the sky over local fields always alive with them thereafter but not one in the sky yet. It would be interesting to hear from an authoritative voice on the subject since I am very amateur....but concerned enough this year to have sought out and joined Birdforum. Could it have been the prevailing North Easterly during March/April??

There was a big storm over the Med earlier in the year. Southerly winds pushed them into it and there were strong cold winds within the storm that ended up with thousands exhausted or dead on the Greek mainland. They said it was a disaster for them. Zero of our swallows have returned as of 19 May.... but we do have loads of Starlings. A total disaster. I had hoped ours were on a slightly different trajectory and I know they arrived in Milan after this.... but given so many saying their swallows aren't back, I guess we have a natural disaster on our hands for them.

It's awful - doesn't seem like spring at all without the Swallows and Swifts. First this Corona Virus making the world weird, then the birds don't come. Saw my first Swallows and Martins a couple of weeks ago but since then, none. Swifts should have been screaming round the village by now but no sign of them. There aren't even any babies in my nest box this year or even any bees on my Cotoneaster - usually count at least seven different types buzzing about on the tiny red flowers. The world is dying around us. Is this what it was like for the Dinosaurs? We are witnessing the end of the Earth, first hand, and it's all our fault.

I have been wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to try and put up a wooden 'shelf' high up on the gable end of my bungalow and attach some artificial Swallow nest to the underside or some Swift boxes. Given that it's only a bungalow and not very high, would they use them? I'd put some fake nests under the eaves if I had any but the roof joins flush with the side of the building, which is a shame!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back