• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted cuckoo? (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
When I first saw this bird I was amazed by the length of it's tail. Eventually I got some poor pictures, and after various tweaks I think I can identify it. Am I right? Thanks in advance. The photos, of the same bird, taken today near Barbate , Andalucia, Spain. The Pratincoles nesting nearby were not pleased to see it!

Attachments

• DSC_8011-2.jpg
    DSC_8011-2.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_8019-2.jpg
    DSC_8019-2.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 79
is that possibly a migrant heading back to Africa? I don't think they hang about in the southern part of Spain - no Magpies to parasitise.

John Cantelo?

is that possibly a migrant heading back to Africa? I don't think they hang about in the southern part of Spain - no Magpies to parasitise.

John Cantelo?

Most do pass through the area it's true but in the last few decades Common Magpies have increased enormously in that area although still not widespread. They've gone from being restricted to the mouth of the Guadalquivir to being fairly common around Cadiz Bay so I'd imagine Great Spotted Cuckoo may follow suit ...

I don't see many magpies around but they are more common the further North you go. Do they use the nests of Azure winged magpies as well? There are plenty of those in Huelva province.

I've been informed they are now 'Iberian Magpies' split from the far-eastern Azure-winged. But I don't know the answer to your query. Sorry.

I don't see many magpies around but they are more common the further North you go. Do they use the nests of Azure winged magpies as well? There are plenty of those in Huelva province.
From BWP, mainly [Eurasian] Magpies, but also Raven, Carrion Crow, Iberian Magpie, Jay all known to be used :t:

From BWP, mainly [Eurasian] Magpies, but also Raven, Carrion Crow, Iberian Magpie, Jay all known to be used :t:

In Iberia Jackdaw and Red-billed Chough are occasional host species (together with Carrion Crown and Raven); Iberian Magpie is an exceptional host at best.
June is the month during which adults migrate to Africa (juvs. stick around for a bit longer, normally until September), so it's more than likely that this bird is a southbound migrant.

EDIT: adding to the above, there is another possibility. I can't determine correctly the age of this bird from these photos, but it can be a 2nd. cal year bird. If that is the case then it's not tied to the same "migration dates" as adults, and it might stay for longer in places where breeding does not take place, just prospecting for a future nesting area and gorging on fat hairy caterpillars...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back