• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar? Robin? (1 Viewer)

Sunspot01

Possibly taken in Madagascar - photo was in a set of photos captured in Madagascar.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_211128977_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200616_211128977_HDR.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 64
Mad magpie-Robin yes....but I believe it's been split into 3 (?) Species so not knowing whereabouts hinders the specific id

Mad magpie-Robin yes....but I believe it's been split into 3 (?) Species so not knowing whereabouts hinders the specific id

Thanks. So I take it the bird is an immature male? The photo would have been from around Ifaty SW Madagascar. So the ssp. would be C. a. pica?

This had me stumped, nothing like it on the internet or in the books that I can see and the I.O.C haven't split it.

Also odd is the fact that a search for Cercotrichas albospecularis, just returns a generic page?

Last edited:
Thanks. So I take it the bird is an immature male? The photo would have been from around Ifaty SW Madagascar. So the ssp. would be C. a. pica?

I'd say it was a female based on the white supercilium but as I said, I can find no images that look anything like this?

Try Copsychus specularis ;). Still nothing that really looks similar, but cannot think of anything else there!

Oops, misread the first part of the name but IOC use albospecularis. ;)

They also call it Madagascan rather than Madagascar.

Three races including nominate in the Northeast, pica (W and N) and inexpectatus (EC to SE) being the others

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back