• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the info.
An acquaintance wants to order early, I also listed sport Optics, Euro-optics will waive state taxes, however Delaware has no sales tax.

Last edited:
Additional NL Information

I’ve located some additional information from Swarovski about the NL:

• A 5 MB NL Fact Sheet in various languages can be found at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Fact-sheet-NL-Pure?language=en_US

• And a 2.3 MB Export Price List for 2020/ 2021 at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Retail-price-list-Export-2020-21?language=en_US

The fact sheet includes:
- some detail about the optics and the focuser (image 1)
- the new UCS neck strap and the new FSB bag (image 2)

And see another image of the bag from: https://www.verrekijkershop.nl/vogelverrekijkers/swarovski-nl-pure-12x42.html

John

. . . and an FSB image from Swarovski

Attachments

• Optics etc.jpg
    Optics etc.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Accessories.jpg
    Accessories.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 89
  • FSB .jpg
    FSB .jpg
    202 KB · Views: 67
  • another FSB.jpg
    another FSB.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
An acquaintance wants to order early, I also listed sport Optics, Euro-optics will waive state taxes, however Delaware has no sales tax.
I don't care for Sport Optics. They never seem to have anything in stock anymore. I much prefer Euro-optic. They sell a lot of optics and firearms and I have always had good service from them.

• A 5 MB NL Fact Sheet in various languages can be found at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Fact-sheet-NL-Pure?language=en_US

• And a 2.3 MB Export Price List for 2020/ 2021 at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Retail-price-list-Export-2020-21?language=en_US

The fact sheet includes:

And see another image of the bag from: https://www.verrekijkershop.nl/vogelverrekijkers/swarovski-nl-pure-12x42.html

John

in regards to the products....I don't think in all my years of birding have I seen anyone carry a binocular in the case (Swaro or not) ..... Now, they might have the case if they 'travel'....but not in the field like those images do :)...

The fact sheet includes:

John

Thanks, John. I like the idea of a side case. I think it will be easier to get the binoculars out of the case. It looks big enough for the strap also.

Thanks John for the info. It will be interesting to see how that forehead bracket works out. I am not so sure...
I am not so sure about the forehead rest either. I didn't order one with my NL 8x42. I am going to wait for some feedback from other users first before I buy one. I don't like the idea of adding weight to the binocular unless it really is beneficial. I am very interested to see what a 477-foot FOV looks like with sharp edges though. That is wider than an EII.

Last edited:
The NL series is quite exciting. I will wait to judge when I can handle them or at least see some independent reviews from several sources.

The shape looks quite efficient and inviting. Here is a nice online video teaser that shows the binocular/hand interface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vy6CDFaVjM&t=2s

I love the good eye relief (18mm) combined with the large AFOV (69, 70 and 71 degrees). I have long considered 70 deg AFOV to be the ideal design goal in an alpha. There is great visual appeal at that AFOV in my experience and any more than 70 degrees requires such extreme optical design measures as to be impractical.

It remains to be seen what the distortion mapping is on the different NL binoculars. The published AFOV values would lead me to suspect that the 8X42 NL would have a nice balance of slight pincushion and no rolling ball effects while the 10X and 12X NL will probably have noticeable rolling ball or disturbing mustache distortion effects at the outer parts of the field of view to those of us that are sensitive to such. Hands on testing is needed.

The head rest is a welcome reincarnation of the ROSS Spectraross 8X40 from 70 years ago as Gary mentioned in post #115. This should be most effective at stabilizing the view for eyeglass wearers like myself. Non-eyeglass wearers can push the eyecups against the face and gain better stabilization than eyeglass wearers can. The new headrest should be a nice feature.

I am worried about the initial description by the Swarovski sales folk and their surrogates that the edges of the field seem to “disappear”. This sounds like the field stops will not be visible without purposeful repositioning of the eyeball to the eyepiece. This would be a real disappointment as I expect to see a sharp round field stop with totally dark surround on an alpha level binocular. It sounds like Swarovski may be anticipating some negative feedback on this and is using reverse psychology to make a design deficiency into a positive feature. Hands on testing is needed. Maybe it is a feature and the result will be stunning, I will keep an open mind (and open eyes).

So I look forward to Jan’s hands on review as well as others to come. And please, Jan start a new thread for actual hands on reviews of the NL.

Stephanie

Hi Ed,

Don't ask me how it works but the view through the CL30 is without blackouts no matter the position of the eye cups, at least for me.

Jan

Isn't it the same optics as in a rifle scope where you need the super-long eye relief/optical box to avoid getting poked in the eye due to the recoil?

Lee

Last edited:
Isn't it the same optics as in a rifle scope where you need the super-long eye relief/optical box to avoid getting poked in the eye due to the recoil?

Lee

Hi Lee,

If memory serves me well, it isn't possible to get the eye lens of the riflescope close to the eye without experiencing blackouts, something that doesn't occur with the CL30.

Since you brought it up, the word "poking" brings me sweet memories:smoke:

Jan

I am worried about the initial description by the Swarovski sales folk and their surrogates that the edges of the field seem to “disappear”. This sounds like the field stops will not be visible without purposeful repositioning of the eyeball to the eyepiece. This would be a real disappointment as I expect to see a sharp round field stop with totally dark surround on an alpha level binocular.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie - it may be that binoculars with extra wide fields of view move the field stop out to where it is much less noticeable. I just commandeered my brother's 10x50 WX, the alpha of alphas (at least optically) to double-check my impressions of it, and the field stop of this binocular is, as I remembered, so far out from the center that it certainly does not appear, at least to my eyes, as a "sharp round field stop with totally dark surround". The old Swift 7x35 extra wide angle porro I have also has a similar effect, albeit less pronounced. I haven't looked through the NL yet, nor probably will for some considerable time - but I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar in such a wide-field binocular.

Incidentally, I like being able to put the field stop a long way out, as the impression becomes more like looking out of a window than through a tube - I always try to position the binoculars so that the field stop is as far out as possible, right up until blackouts start to happen, then dial it back just slightly. Binoculars with large exit pupils seem to be particularly good at achieving this happy state, but I can accomplish this with some other binoculars as well. My two classic 8x30 porros (Zeiss West and Leitz Binuxit) are very very close optically, but I prefer the latter just a little more as I can get its field stop a little further out and I feel I am seeing just that little more.

I realize field of view isn't the be-all and end-all, and I agree a sharp, clean field stop (Leitz/Leica seem to be really good at this) looks neat and professional - but I would much rather sacrifice the second for more of the first, especially when it's sharp to the edge. "Your mileage may vary", of course...

Regards
Patudo

Hi Lee,

If memory serves me well, it isn't possible to get the eye lens of the riflescope close to the eye without experiencing blackouts, something that doesn't occur with the CL30.

Since you brought it up, the word "poking" brings me sweet memories:smoke:

Jan

Correct. There is a very small window where the light converges and gives a full image. Too close and your image goes to hell, and too far away gives you a tiny circle of light and a reflection on the scopes reticle extending beyond it, distorting badly if viewed slightly off-axis.

Most are 3.5" ER, and with a variable power scope most company lies stay pretty close to that mark, else various drawbacks.

Scout scopes are the exception where long eye relief is desirable, but those are typically fixed power optics, for optical-mechanical and practical (reaching way up to adjust is lame) reasons.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back