• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What harrier is this? (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

Hello everyone,
A few weeks back I saw this harrier over a massive, massive field whilst flying over a road, not very high above the ground. The fact it is a harrier I assume is because of the white band on its tail? (The hen harrier I took on the Russian field two days ago had a very similar band in the same spot)
Could this be a Montagu's harrier? I can see only four fingers on its wings- on the one two days ago there were five. Moscow oblast where I am right now is a place where the Montagu's harrier is much more common than the hen harrier. Theoretically, this could also very potentially be a pallid harrier, but they are so rare in the region (but still possible- I know of a nesting pair about 20 km away) I am prepared to not even consider that option. The fact that it is a ringtail I think is obvious. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC06178.jpg
    DSC06178.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 323
I think I see five fingers on the right wing, and it the wing looks rather broad, even allowing for the angle

Yes- I can now see a hen harrier in this image as well. Tail was way too long for a buzzard- I actually thought it was a black kite before I noticed the colouration. The one I saw three days ago had broad wings as well...
Thank you

Actually the secondary pattern rules out a buzzard and not a HH, which this bird is. Probably juv male based on the very same secondary pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back