• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird for ID - Virginia, USA (1 Viewer)

Photos online of 2nd yr female Mourning Warbler look very similar.

And there is this description:

https://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/infocenter/i6790id.html

Similar species:

The MacGillivray's Warbler is the western counterpart to the eastern Mourning Warbler. Fortunately, the breeding ranges of the two species do not overlap. Male MacGillivray's typically have broken eye rings while they are absent in male Mourning Warblers. Females and immatures of the two species are extremely difficult to tell apart and are usually separated by range. Connecticut Warblers are similar to Mourning Warblers but have complete eye rings and are larger. Female and immature Common Yellowthroats are also quite similar but lack a gray or brownish wash across the breast (although this can be indistinct in some immatures) and have white, not yellow, bellies.

Photos online of 2nd yr female Mourning Warbler look very similar.

And there is this description:

https://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/infocenter/i6790id.html

Similar species:

The MacGillivray's Warbler is the western counterpart to the eastern Mourning Warbler. Fortunately, the breeding ranges of the two species do not overlap. Male MacGillivray's typically have broken eye rings while they are absent in male Mourning Warblers. Females and immatures of the two species are extremely difficult to tell apart and are usually separated by range. Connecticut Warblers are similar to Mourning Warblers but have complete eye rings and are larger. Female and immature Common Yellowthroats are also quite similar but lack a gray or brownish wash across the breast (although this can be indistinct in some immatures) and have white, not yellow, bellies.

Eye ring is a key feature, the only other contender on that front would be Connecticut?

A

Eye ring is a key feature, the only other contender on that front would be Connecticut?

A

I dunno...some of the pics I'm seeing online of female mourning show some broken eye rings albeit not as pronounced as the bird in the OP's photo.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/MacGillivrays_Warbler/id

Similar Species

•Connecticut Warbler is much larger and heavier, with complete white eye ring (not crescents or arcs).
•Mourning Warbler lacks eye-crescents; male Mourning Warbler has a pronounced black patch in the middle of the breast. Some individual Mourning Warblers may show traits of MacGillivray's, including, rarely, white eye-arcs.

My immediate reaction was MacGillivray's and whilst googling photo's to support it further, I came across Virginia's first record from 2005 :)

My immediate reaction was MacGillivray's and whilst googling photo's to support it further, I came across Virginia's first record from 2005 :)

It sure would be a 'fabulous record' as Nutcracker said.

Here in NJ we have a Lesser Nighthawk which I got to see this past weekend.
This is a southwestern species...poor thing is way off track. It was taken in by a local bird hospital, fed and released. He/she is hanging around a park near the hospital.

Was thinking Mourning but on second look....I am not sure. That white throat is a good point for MacGillvray's along with those eye arcs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back