• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Digiscoping Pictures, The Sun Came Out!, (1 Viewer)

mickporter said:
I tried the new settings John, and voila had much much better results. Normally I get one reasonable shot out of around ten taken. I generally take a few shots continuously to ensure I get at least one decent pose from the bird. But normally just two or three pictures will be in focus or viewable. Today I have been to Martin Mere just snapping away to improve my techniques, and found with these improved settings almost all my pics were ok. Most were in focus, others will easily be enhanced in Photoshop... the birds still did not pose correctly but at least I had a choice of images that were keepers. Thanks again.....

Bye the way I did test the camera in the P mode but as you suggested the camera chose to focus the surroundings or branches rather than the birds...

One thing I did find useful which now seems obvious was that by turning the icons off the camera screen, it is much easier to fine focus the image on the camera. Sometimes all the clutter gets in the way, so best to switch that off once you are sure your settings are correct. I also found that my shooting into bright lights or water was vastly improved by using the Manual AF Area Mode setting. Actually focusing on the bird rather than the camera taking a general reading improves the birds image, leaving the water or other out of focus.

Thanks again John!

Excellent news Mick, happy shooting.

regards

john

Hi Modular,
Your first picture are very good, and if the focus was at the right place, they'r was very very good.When you have branch or disturbing things you have to go in infiniti(mountain) instead of the macro (flower). you access the infinity (on CP4500) by pushing the flower symbol button until the mountain appear (by memory 3 push)in the lcd, then you make the focus manualy with the scope. the bird must be sharp not the branch, you gonna see it when it's right. In infinity you don't have the autofocus so just depress the shutter (a cable release are essential).
Every pictures right from the camera (especially the 4500or high end camera) are a bit soft, and need some level and sharpening modification. If you don't have you can enhance them directly in the camera like higher sharpening than auto, more saturation color, etc...
Digiscoping in bad weather or dull day are always a bit more difficult.
keep it

Hello all,

Sorry for not replying sooner ... Working Night's and visiting Family etc,​

John Henry ... Ty so much for the setting's ... I have tried them quickly but​
have'nt had Time to really practice etc ...​
Weather and Late Afternoon's don't help me at all lol ... It's been Overcast and​
the Lighting's been dull,​
Really glad it's helped other's aswell ... Bet You there's been a few 4500 owner's​
who have looked at the​
thread and had a fiddle with there setting's,Really nice of you to take the Time m8,​
Glad it helped Mick aswell and please don't apologise Mick about the thread ...​

Appreciate the question's you asked ... it all help's, Really glad it improved your picture's,​

Crazy Birder ... Your picture's are great ... Expecially the Squirrel and Pheasant,​
Hope they did'nt fight ... Great shot though ... never seen that before,Nice Fox too ...​
I'm hoping to get a picture of One,​

Avan ... Thank's for the comment's ... I did focus on the Bird as much as i could​
but like you say the movement does'nt help of the Bird,​
Problem is ... that when you see a bird land on a branch or twig ... the​
twig alway's move's by the weight of the Bird aswell as the​
wind and light,​
Difficult combination when thing's are also being magnified ...​
I alway's thought that with Digiscoping and Photography that Once you had learnt the basic's​
... then all you had to do was aim and shoot and you'd get a good picture ....... How wrong i was lol ...​
The more i'm learning the more i'm understanding that it is'nt that way, Your picture's are Beautiful ...​
Beautiful Country and Bird's,​

Thank's all for your Time ... Much appreciated,:t:​

Tc,​
John,

Just one last question which may seem daft. When focusing on a bird or whatever through the telescope, is it ok to rough focus on the object, half press the camera button to allow the camera to focus itself, and then fine focus the scope while keeping the button half pressed??

Sometimes I find that the object goes partially out of focus after pressing the button. I seem to get best results doing things this way.

My eyesight is not perfect. I need all the help getting a sharp image that I can.

mickporter said:
Just one last question which may seem daft. When focusing on a bird or whatever through the telescope, is it ok to rough focus on the object, half press the camera button to allow the camera to focus itself, and then fine focus the scope while keeping the button half pressed??

Sometimes I find that the object goes partially out of focus after pressing the button. I seem to get best results doing things this way.

My eyesight is not perfect. I need all the help getting a sharp image that I can.

Hi Mick,
You can do it either way but if your eyesight is not so good you should get a better focus through the scope than with the screen. Why not find a big sign with bold, clear writing on it and try both ways to see which is best, I've found it's always easier to try things out on a static subject.

regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back