• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (2 Viewers)

Got the pen & ink out to keep the hand in. Jackdaw before and after a colour wash.

Attachments

• J1.jpg
    J1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 182
  • J2.jpg
    J2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 207
Just for the character in this one, this has to be one of my favourites, I love the way you've caught the mischievious glint in his eye, it's almost as if he's glancing back over his shoulder to say, "whatever it is I'm not supposed to do, sod it, I'm doing it anyway". Hmm,must be in an anthropomorphic mood today, if that's the correct use of the word, since I moved to France I'm not sure of my English anymore.

I had to look that one up,a good adjective, to attribute human personality to an animal. Like all the crow family a very itelligent bird.

Grammatical and literary expressions aside - you must have some decent eyes, Arthur! - How do you make these drawings so detailed yet, as Nick points out, so full of character?
Tremendous.
And your etemology is correct both of you - the attribution of human emotions to animals - as in
"Oh look, she really loves you" (as said to a cat, which is currently scent-marking the back of your leg).

Tim I like to draw the feathers, with a pen.Thats a dip pen with a fine nib ,you can get the detail , although a lot of it is lost when you have to reduce the picture size to fit onto this forum. As for the character of the bird I try to draw what I see. My poor eyes are getting old like me.

Watching the Rooks today. some silhouettes done from sketches ,plus one with attitude

Attachments

• ROOK.jpg
    ROOK.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 175
  • ROOK1.jpg
    ROOK1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 176
  • ROO2.jpg
    ROO2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
great silhouettes, sadly the amount of fine french wine I've consumed today means I can't look long at this one at the moment, the swirling rooks are making me giddy! I promise I'll look again after my imminent hangover. :)

sober now, they look great, the swirling effect is enjoyable now rather than making me feel a little nauseous. It's great to see things like rooks and jackdaws being given the time of day by artists, I absolutely love them, little beats them for character and you've captured this very well.

That's going to work perfectly, Arthur. I can almost imagine the piece from the drawing (which is tip top) - look forward to it.

Looks good Arthur. The bird looks nicely framed. Was that how you saw it or have you creatively placed it?

Woody

Look forward to seeing how this one develops, particularly the barbed wire, I love trying to put it in pictures, but always end up losing patience with it as I can't draw it to save my life. I like the feeling of peering through the fence, it adds a distance to the bird.

The slightly differnet angle does work better I believe, it's very difficult to create this sort of picture (as I am learning at the moment!) where the bird is framed by it's 'back'ground. I'm continuing on the little grebe at the moment, and I'm trying to have the bird framed by a branch and its reflection whilst still having a load of water and branches all around, and to be honest, even with a good drop of alcohol (allowed as not at work for two weeks) it's driving me mad. Though my picture is driving me mad, I wish you great success with this avocet as this is going to be a great picture, if I may offer a piece of advice, try and ensure the bird stays behind its frame, as my little grebe has driven me nuts by deciding it wants to be the foreground!

I understand what you say Nick. I want the bird to be the focus , but with more detail in the foreground it will push the bird back so it keeps the feeling of looking in to the Creek , or that is what I am trying to achive

At last able to make a start with the Avocet. Still on a learning curve with acrylics. Trying to keep the bird back to get the feel of looking into the Creek. through a frame of reeds , fence posts and barbed wire.

Attachments

• L1020842.jpg
    L1020842.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Pavo2.jpg
    Pavo2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I like the composition, one thing I can't get right with acrylics is mixing the paint up to the right tone, so I daub it all on, then use thin washes of white to tone it down and make things recede, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the best with acrylics is you can paint over anything you don't like and start again. Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses, I love the idea for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back