• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Different birds / Sudan (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Here we go again with the Wheatears :-O I believe both are Desert..

I always struggle with the Firefinches... Any feedback will be most welcome.

The Sunbird I believe is Pygmy?

All birds were photographed in Tuti Island, outside Khartoum, during the month of October.

Thank you,

Jose

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 39
Agree with the Wheatears, firefinch looks like Red billed (fully red head, red bill, utcs and lower belly greyish) unsure about the Sunbird - could be either Pygmy or Nile Valley, will defer to others with more field experience and knowledge of the area.

I can't help feeling that the wheatear IDs are a bit off.

Bird one (see attached enlargement) has a white side and a white tip to the tail, so should not be Desert Wheater. And the colouring seems wrong also.

Bird two seems to be the wrong colour for Desert Wheatear.

I'm not an expert, or even a well-informed amateur, but I doubt the IDs given. I'd go for Somali Wheatear m and f, even if it's theoretically out of range.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 27
Thank you, Daniel. You mean Red-billed for both of the Firefinches, right? Could be!

Nile Valley may be a more accurate ID for the Sunbird. Now that I'm checking they're more common in the area than the Pygmy.

Cheers!

Thank you, Daniel. You mean Red-billed for both of the Firefinches, right? Could be!

Nile Valley may be a more accurate ID for the Sunbird. Now that I'm checking they're more common in the area than the Pygmy.

Cheers!
Thanks MacNara! Somali Wheatear seems to be a bit out of range for Sudan. It seems the bird it's also present in Ethiopia, but only on places bordering Somalia.

I wonder what other Wheatear species could both birds be outside Desert and Somali.

I can't help feeling that the wheatear IDs are a bit off.

Bird one (see attached enlargement) has a white side and a white tip to the tail, so should not be Desert Wheater. And the colouring seems wrong also.

Bird two seems to be the wrong colour for Desert Wheatear.

I'm not an expert, or even a well-informed amateur, but I doubt the IDs given. I'd go for Somali Wheatear m and f, even if it's theoretically out of range.

I know nothing about either but note the very few pics of Somali in Macaulay suggest male should be a much more uniform darker grey than either of these photos. They also suggest a really pronounced supercilium, again more than here.

Thanks MacNara! Somali Wheatear seems to be a bit out of range for Sudan. It seems the bird it's also present in Ethiopia, but only on places bordering Somalia.

I wonder what other Wheatear species could both birds be outside Desert and Somali.

I wonder how the distribution of these birds has been tracked given the history of Sudan (and now South Sudan), Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea...over my lifetime. In particular, do you think that the distribution of migrating birds in Sudan and South Sudan are of any level of reliability?

wheatear

Don't think it is Somali Wheatear - birds I saw and photographed on Ethiopia / Somali border area were all showing clearly marked grey crown. Even immatures that were browner on the back had grey crown.

I think one bird is Black-eared Wheatear (black-throated form) as black throat does not join the black wing as it does on Desert Wheatear.

I would also support Nile Valley for Sunbird.

Don't think it is Somali Wheatear - birds I saw and photographed on Ethiopia / Somali border area were all showing clearly marked grey crown. Even immatures that were browner on the back had grey crown.

Both of these birds (OP's 1 and 2) seem to me to have a clearly marked grey crown.

And having looked at Somali Wheatear photos on Google photos, they seem to be a good fit to me.

I wonder how the distribution of these birds has been tracked given the history of Sudan (and now South Sudan), Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea...over my lifetime. In particular, do you think that the distribution of migrating birds in Sudan and South Sudan are of any level of reliability?
That's a very valid point.

I think one bird is Black-eared Wheatear (black-throated form) as black throat does not join the black wing as it does on Desert Wheatear.

I would also support Nile Valley for Sunbird.
Thank you David! Not sure about the Black-eared Wheatear ID, but I think we got the Sunbird right :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back